Dutch Vitpilen 701

Replaced the original caliper bolts with titanium today:
20240402_202619.jpg

Have done a few short rides and a bit of commuting so far. The braking is excellent, but it's hard to say if it's due to the new pads, the caliper or both.
My guess is the pads made the most difference. So if you are just looking for a bit more bite, change the pads. If you want a bit of bling change the caliper 😁A different master cylinder might help, but I haven't looked into that yet.
The ABS still seems to work as before btw, 🤷🏻‍♂️

IMG_20240323_205029.jpg

Mounted a Stylema too on my 2020 Vitpilen.

You can keep the OEM brake line, it don't look as clean as a "straight" banjo like @nampus did but there's no tension on it so it's OK.

The pads on my Stylema are exactly the same as the one on the OEM P4 caliper (brm10ahh, OEM sintered metal type) plus Stylema pads were more worn (50%) than the P4 pads (20%) so I was able to compare : just changing the caliper made a real difference in precision and feeling.

The lever is a bit harder because the Stylema features 30mm pistons vs 32mm on the P4, so around 12% less volume to push for the same movement.

The modulation and feeling are definitely better, but the initial bitting and power remains the same.

Got a pair of Z04 coming this week, I use them on track (on my 2012 ZX6-R) and I know they're absolutely crazy (they're exactly the same as used in WSBK and Moto2 so... 😁).

Last edited:
Mounted a Stylema too on my 2020 Vitpilen.
Do brake calipers have a one size fits all, or do they come in different sizes for different discs? Just in case I happen to find a good second hand opportunity.

Last edited:
Radial calipers come in 3 sizes. 100mm bolt center, 108mm and 85mm.

In general 108 mm is used on Japanese bikes, 100mm is used on european bikes, and 85 mm is used on small capacity bikes (and aprilia Shiver 750 I think)

But: some modern Japanese superbikes use 100mm spacing.
And some R1's used 130mm spacing with the 6 pot calipers.

To account for different disc diameters you use different spacers between the forks and the calipers. That's on of the advantages of radial calipers, you can easily swap between different size discs, with a simple spacer swap.

Last edited:
Radial calipers come in 3 sizes. 100mm bolt center, 108mm and 85mm.

In general 108 mm is used on Japanese bikes, 100mm is used on european bikes, and 85 mm is used on small capacity bikes (and aprilia Shiver 750 I think)

But: some modern Japanese superbikes use 100mm spacing.
And some R1's used 130mm spacing with the 6 pot calipers.

To account for different disc diameters you use different spacers between the forks and the calipers. That's on of the advantages of radial calipers, you can easily swap between different size discs, with a simple spacer swap.
Thanks for the explanation!

Update on the pads : Z04 are awesome on the Vitpilen too, and they made the biggest difference.

Now I got real brakes (you know what I mean if you've already experienced the feeling of proper race brakes).

Did a 150km/h stoppie uphill the other day (involuntarily, was just pushing the brakes a bit) so even with one disc they're still the thing.

And they're efficient from cold, so they're street-friendly :)

KG_GP_Brembo_Pad_Z04_CoefficientofFriction_English_a738c038-aaa2-44f2-a635-88700c340959.jpg

Thanks for your feedback. The Problem is that the Z04 are not road legal.
the SR pads are ECE R90 homologized. In trust of the source the friction coefficient over temperature looks quite similar to the Z04 pads.
I just changed my discs because of blooming due to road salt and therefore also the pads (again SR front and SX rear) and I have nothing to complain about.
Regarding your stoppie experience I think I need warmer temperatures that the ABS doesn't engage.

1713353514183.jpg

Thanks for your feedback. The Problem is that the Z04 are not road legal.
the SR pads are ECE R90 homologized. In trust of the source the friction coefficient over temperature looks quite similar to the Z04 pads.
I just changed my discs because of blooming due to road salt and therefore also the pads (again SR front and SX rear) and I have nothing to complain about.
Regarding your stoppie experience I think I need warmer temperatures that the ABS doesn't engage.

View attachment 5261

ABS and TC are crappy on the Vit', I shut them down everytime just after starting the bike :)

I activate them only if I get caught under heavy rain, otherwise they're limiting the bike way too much (I live in the French Alps so there's pretty nice roads around me ;)

Last edited:
Im glad that you found the same with the ABS, it gets very worrying when you get to a corner on the brakes and the ABS cuts in. NO BRAKES

Back
Top Bottom