Dutch Vitpilen 701

Good result nampus, and thanks for sharing... Guess we need to get some work done to improve things then, more money DAMN...;)

Added a phonecharger to the Husky today.
I use a ulephone armor 5 for navigation, speed camera alerts, music etc. It has quite a large battery, but because it has to do so many things at once, a full day's riding is just a bit to much for a single charge.
With the charge lead I don't have to take my tankbag with a powerbank anymore.
And don't have to worry about remembering to charge my phone before going for a (long) ride.
IMG_20210310_154832.jpg

The space behind the headlight is now definitely full 🤐 There is barely any room anyway, but with the added cables of my heated grips and now this charge lead there is barely any space left.
Getting the headlight connector back in behind its rubber boot took a bit of persuasion 😅

BTW, is replacing the shock as simple as it looks?

remove slipon including connection pipe
remove rear bolt from the front (wider) suspension link
remove rear bolt from the smaller suspension link
remove top shock bolt
pull down shock including smaller link

Back in reverse order?

BTW, is replacing the shock as simple as it looks?

remove slipon including connection pipe
remove rear bolt from the front (wider) suspension link
remove rear bolt from the smaller suspension link
remove top shock bolt
pull down shock including smaller link

Back in reverse order?
Yeah that sounds about right.
I removed both small and bigger link completely to grease the bearing in them, and give a bit more space.
You need to move the swingarm up or down a bit when you guide out the shock.
The stock shock is easy, the Duke R shock was a bit tougher because the reservoir takes up quite a bit of space.

A month ago I installed a phone charger in the bike (see post #64 a couple posts up)

Unfortunately I discovered on the first ride using this, that in use, the phone still lost charge (slower than without the charger plugged in obviously) when used just for satnav duties (no Spotify, screen brightness as low as possible while still being able to read it)
I installed an app called ampere so I could see how 'quick it was charging.
Plugged into a wall socket with the original charger it would charge with about 600mA.
I then plugged the bike charger into the phone and fired up the ampere app:
IMG-20210412-WA0002.jpeg
As you can see, 70mA. So no wonder it wouldn't keep up with demand during a ride.

So to get the phone to charge at a reasonable pace, I need the original USB lead. So I need a USB socket on the bike. I know there is a USB socket under the seat. But that's to far from the cockpit. And a quick check with the ampere app revealed that the 2m long usb-c lead I have at home would also charge at around 65-70mA.

A quick Google led me to this:
61611043000_husqvarna_stroom_aansluiting_acfd.jpg
It's an official husky powerpart and it retails at €48 in the Netherlands.
But I thought it looked very familiar.
A quick check under the seat: it's the same thing mounted under the Vit701 seat 😁
Plugged in the phone with the original USB lead to check the carge rate: well over 300mA 👍🏻
I quickly found the connector under the passenger seat, unclipped it and traced the cable back to the USB socket. It is held in place with 2 clips you need to push aside to lift the socket.
I removed the battery to give a little more room.
It's a bit fiddly, but you can unhook the cable to the left which will allow you to pull the USB socket out.
IMG-20210412-WA0011.jpeg

Then I had to find a decent place to mount it near the cockpit. As you can see in the pics, the socket has a round dent so you can mount it on a tube using two zip ties.
I looked at mounting it on the frame just behind the headstock, but couldn't find a decent spot to mount it. Then I noticed a bit of room under the left handlebar :
IMG_20210412_194931.jpg
Fits perfect!
Just need to run the cable into the space behind the headlight.
But I'll do that tomorrow when I remove the usb-c charge lead.

Hi all, what's a cosy cap.?

Nampus, where are you planing on plugging into with your usb>?
I just got me a Healtech Thunderbox power supply box, and there Thunderbox USB power supply to go with it, got for my Africa twin, but so impressed I mite get a second set for the 701.

Hi all, what's a cosy cap.?

Nampus, where are you planing on plugging into with your usb>?
I just got me a Healtech Thunderbox power supply box, and there Thunderbox USB power supply to go with it, got for my Africa twin, but so impressed I mite get a second set for the 701.

A cozy cap is a rubber cap that attaches to an usb lead to keep dust and moisture out.

Yesterday I plugged the USB lead into the switched acc connection behind the headlight.
126343.jpg
Pic is a bit blurry 🙄
Everything is back to together again and working 👌🏻

Sweet, I forgot we had two power feeds up front, good work, and thanks for the cosy cap info, something else we need ha... :)

Always nice to have a clean bike, sadly It doesn't last very long... Your allowed to park and wash on the footpath.?o_O

Always nice to have a clean bike, sadly It doesn't last very long... Your allowed to park and wash on the footpath.?o_O
Not sure about parking, but washing is no problem where I live.
I always park the bike there when I wash it.
It's not very busy, so it bothers nobody 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom