Track Vits?

My hanger is made by me. In the style of KTM racing hanger 😉
Did you pull your db-reducer out of the silencer? If so, how much louder was it? My bike is soooo quiet now, I can hear the valves clicking when I ride.

Gotta make it louder and am trying to pull the db-reducer out, but they have messed with it pretty good to keep it in there. I really, really do not want to drill out the pop rivets and pull off the carbon fiber wrap, but I'm stuck. I pulled off the rubber cap and tried to get the soft material out of the 5mm hex head, but couldn't get it out enough to get anything else in there. Tried a screw extractor, but it will not break it free. It appears that they actually tack welded or brazed the screw in there.

How did you get yours out?

Thanks

Did you pull your db-reducer out of the silencer?

Judging from the sound in the video @FaNaTic posted (23:10), I would estimate that he runs it with the db-killer still inside.

On these speakers it sounds like it makes a very good noise 😀

...And a db-killer is also visible in the in post #15 of this thread.

I know I dont drive a big bike like y'all, but when I take out my killer I lose almost 20km/h top speed... just to point out that loud doesnt necessarily mean speed or power...

Did you pull your db-reducer out of the silencer? If so, how much louder was it? My bike is soooo quiet now, I can hear the valves clicking when I ride.

Gotta make it louder and am trying to pull the db-reducer out, but they have messed with it pretty good to keep it in there. I really, really do not want to drill out the pop rivets and pull off the carbon fiber wrap, but I'm stuck. I pulled off the rubber cap and tried to get the soft material out of the 5mm hex head, but couldn't get it out enough to get anything else in there. Tried a screw extractor, but it will not break it free. It appears that they actually tack welded or brazed the screw in there.

Thanks
For the races, I can remove the dB killer but I must leave it for track days.
Don't forget I have the Duke Akro full exhaust with a first under engine silencer.

For the races, I can remove the dB killer but I must leave it for track days.
Now I am interested, in the video of the hill climb event, did use db killer, or is that the sound without db Killer?

...and do you experience power loss without it?

Without dB killer for the hill climb.
I don't feel any loss of power with it but I have nothing to compare accurately (top speed or dyno).
The bike was dynoed for PCV tune without.

Very interesting, that you mention hill climb without.

I know that on my bike, it is opposite as I expect, the top speed is less and low end torque is higher, probably exactly what you want for hill climb.

If the pilot is good, the bike is always high revs!
Not my case this year as you can hear on the video ... Il was my first time on this climb and I never knew where I was going :confused:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info - did YOU pull it out, and if so, do you remember the technique?

Yes, I also have the full system, so have the second silencer section - hence, the incredibly quiet sound. The db-killer is not one of the closed off ones, it actually just narrows the passage, so I don't think much change in sound or backpressure, but some.

I have worked with 2WDW and watched their activity, and the db-killer vs power is very bike-dependent. Some, it can make a huge difference in peak power, others not much change at all. It depends on the system and the bike and the tune. If you are losing power with it out, I would consider that your ride may need a tweak of the AFR at high revs'.

I have a date with 2WDW to tune this 701, but I want it without the db-killer, as the bike is just too quiet now. And just looking for the technique of getting it out, if there are any shortcuts.

@FaNaTic?

I forgot it but I remember now that for the dyno, I still had the db killer (I just forgot to put it away) but we found a welded screw.
The guy drilled the screw very cleanly without damaging the thread (I don't know if I would be able to do it myself). Take your best drill bit!
I just had to put on a new screw to put the db killer back later.

Thanks
Sorry, I had not read well the first time. It is a bit difficult for me to understand English.

They make screw extraction kits which are available for like 10 bucks or less, like mine:

20211022_184519.jpg

It works well for a couple uses, just use the drill ones (Dr#.) to make the right shape for the extractor ones (Ex#.) to bite

@BISavage Yes, I tried the screw extractors, but it wouldn't hold the first time, as the head is actually brazed on inside and requires a great bit of torque to break the welds, which I was unsuccessful at. I have another size on order, and we'll see if that works. I was hoping for some magic solution from FaNaTic.

@FaNaTic Do you recall your dyno HP/torque? Able to post the print out?

Thanks all.

I don't think it's the good tool. The screw is not stuck in the thread but by the head.
It's like for a rivet, the aim is to delete the head and the job is done.
The difficulty was to hold the silencer without damaging it on a rag (me) and to drill the head right in the center (the guy). When you reach the welding point, it's OK.

Here is the dyno chart :

VITPILEN 701 Courbe puissance.jpeg

@FaNaTic Thank you, sir.

From what I've seen/read, that semi-flat spot between 3-4 is typical for this exhaust. I saw that Pirate had a different mid-section that did notably better at this RPM but then lost the edge at higher RPMs. They used to sell that mid-section, but not anymore.

Again, thank you for the information. Cheers.

It’s a pleasure to help when it's possible. Tell us when you’ve managed to remove the db killer.
It’s interesting this specificity of the exhaust, I didn’t know.

Headlight removal dongle from Woodcraft $70US

i actually emailed Woodcraft back and asked them if they would go for $20US …haha.

I received the headlight dongle. It works: the bike did not catch fire and I no longer have this fucking message "can HLU failure". Thanks to Wolfie109 (y)
This is the fourth dongle on this bike, I hope it’s the last one. Next time I buy a Krämer HKR EVO2. :giggle:

Back
Top Bottom