Dual disk

Looking at them it seems pretty thin to get 3.5ish mm out of it. I’ll probably have to wait until riding season is over and really tear it down.

Yeah, I noticed that later. May be too tight yes.
Here’s an exhibit why you should not get bored and order parts... cheap light rotors from rc8 obviously will not work. Not sure how I missed that the number of bolts is different. Got caught up in that the rims and bearings are identical.

Attachments

• 254F9E53-9240-4827-8199-D7C0C4243B84.jpeg
    254F9E53-9240-4827-8199-D7C0C4243B84.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 5
Yeah, I noticed that later. May be too tight yes.
However this gives me motivation to push on. Brembo mono blocks from a Ducati 848 EVO

Attachments

• 830DFA23-0BFB-4534-9781-344EFAB4AD01.jpeg
    830DFA23-0BFB-4534-9781-344EFAB4AD01.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 398F2330-7185-487D-9456-BEB06CFB0E1F.jpeg
    398F2330-7185-487D-9456-BEB06CFB0E1F.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 20
Two cents: part of the justification for the single is the lightweight aspect of this bike. Dual disks would make sense if it were 100lbs heavier.

I was initially put off by the single, and actually thought it was underpowered - I like single/dual finger pull. But I have to use the 3-4 fingers on this bike. Nothing big, just not my preference. Still, slightly underpowered and you have to put some real intent into braking.

So I swapped out the OEM pads for HH, and am happy I did. I think it's about halfway to where I would like it to be. So, a good perf uptick.

Instead of a dual, consider using a larger rotor and making the modifications for it. I think this would be much easier to do if a rotor is available. A relatively simple bracket could be created to move the brake to the desired position, and a larger-diameter rotor would add more swept area per revolution, as well as a larger moment arm to the braking action. Not sure about available diameters or having ABS compatible rotor available, but a thought . . .

Good luck.

Good point, I am not sure how much there is to gain by going larger without going to a perimeter rotor like buell. The main reason I want to do it is for the two finger braking and the looks, I fell in love with the concept bike and when they released it with the single disk it just drove me nuts.

All this talk about fingers, with some "upgraded" brake fluid and regular Road sinter or HH pads there should be more than enough "action" to put the ABS to work with a single "middle" finger pull... easily.

I am still convinced its only for cool factor until you can go over 150 mph where it actually counts to have dual discs.

And I like that someone is willing to "waste their time" adding to the cool factor of their bike
😎

All this talk about fingers, with some "upgraded" brake fluid and regular Road sinter or HH pads there should be more than enough "action" to put the ABS to work with a single "middle" finger pull... easily.

I am still convinced its only for cool factor until you can go over 150 mph where it actually counts to have dual discs.

And I like that someone is willing to "waste their time" adding to the cool factor of their bike
😎
I agree that it is not necessary, however I really want to be able to put white mag wheels on it and I dislike the single disc look. Also want to lace a 790 adventure hub to the stock rim so I can use spokes as well if I choose.

I agree that it is not necessary, however I really want to be able to put white mag wheels on it and I dislike the single disc look. Also want to lace a 790 adventure hub to the stock rim so I can use spokes as well if I choose.
I also ordered an rc8 front rim, I think the savings between that and the brake disks will offset making a custom abs ring Mount.

Instead of a dual, consider using a larger rotor and making the modifications for it.
It already is 320mm, the max that will fit a front wheel is 330mm, not much gain, and getting the wheel out can be quite the challenge.

Incase anyone is thinking about it, I was looking at throwing one of the m50 brembos I got onto the stock front end just to see how much it improved but the angle on the brake line fitting won’t work so if you want to use those on the stock set up you’ll have to get a custom brake line. Not worth it to me since I have to get custom lines for the dual set up.. Not a bad upgrade for the stock front brake if your sticking with the single one, I got the two m50s off a Ducati 848 evo for 350 US.

Last edited:
Good point, I am not sure how much there is to gain by going larger without going to a perimeter rotor like buell. The main reason I want to do it is for the two finger braking and the looks, I fell in love with the concept bike and when they released it with the single disk it just drove me nuts.
Not related to the disks but I remember a post (possibly on the other forum) by someone who had done a really great job of getting the look of the concept bike. Had cut their exhaust down and installed the clamp on filter.

Not related to the disks but I remember a post (possibly on the other forum) by someone who had done a really great job of getting the look of the concept bike. Had cut their exhaust down and installed the clamp on filter.
That is a good idea with the exhaust, maybe I’ll have to get a stock take off and try to cut and weld it..

Unfortunately one of the 790 forks I got was bent at some point and then straightened so that will have to be replaced. I ordered all the parts I need, however everything is delayed so I probably won’t even have them all until September so the project will be on pause until then.. I got some cheap 300mm 790 rotors to use until I can find some used 320mm vitpilen or duke rotors and I think both rc8 rotors weigh the same as one of the 790 rotors. Way too heavy so they will have to be replaced once I find some that aren’t 300$ each.

So the parts I ordered in June finally mostly showed up this month. The rims are getting powder coated and then I’ll be able to start the build up. I have one 790 inner fork tube so I installed that into the vitpilen uppers, seems to be a good fit so far. I’ll try to update as it goes together.

Attachments

• 385E2BF4-D8D6-41A5-BDC5-B28A4B5E9C2C.jpeg
    385E2BF4-D8D6-41A5-BDC5-B28A4B5E9C2C.jpeg
    478.6 KB · Views: 18
So the parts I ordered in June finally mostly showed up this month. The rims are getting powder coated and then I’ll be able to start the build up. I have one 790 inner fork tube so I installed that into the vitpilen uppers, seems to be a good fit so far. I’ll try to update as it goes together.
Also, I ended up getting some 320mm rotors from a 2015 super duke R, they have the same bolt pattern and spacing so it should work out.

Back
Top Bottom