Chains - Rites and Wrongs

After establishing a baseline with my MXZ4 chains for fuel economy, top speed, and wear with both steel and aluminum sprockets, I decided I will try something... primarily because I think it looks cool in the pictures... oh and to be fair costs about the same as my MXZ4 chains...

🙊 (yeah its sealed)

Screenshot_20210923-183349_Samsung Internet.jpg

I have more than one.

This one I left on to test it... 6000 miles and I had to adjust it twice, still in good shape.

Edit: by adjust I mean that the 2mm gap from the arm went down to barely touching, and i set it back to 2mm gap.

The MXZ4 worn already?
Here is how it looks:
Clip is trash and looking pretty dangerous.
Front is just starting to saw tooth.

20210925_172028.jpg

And would say that with a new clip and a new front sprocket, the chain and rear sprocket could be usable for awhile, maybe.

So, interestingly enough... the fuel mileage difference is, as suspected by surely most of you, noticeable:

RK MXZ4 vs. CZ ORM (same tires, oil, air filter, etc.)

Cold, tested on short rides up to around 45 min, the non-sealed MXZ4 was 10% more efficient on fuel than the o-ring from CZ, and after that the efficiency seemed to decrease; on rides over multiple hours the efficiency was then a constant 8% worse vs. the sealed chain.
The CZ chain on the otherhand did not show any significant difference in fuel consumption, whether 45min or 4 hours.

This was not a scientific test. Sorry, a 10% (positive or negative) difference in fuel economy cannot be attested to the absence of O rings.

So many variables…

Not really, when I ride the bike on the same road 10 times with each chain and get the same results each time, it becomes a fact.

This was not a scientific test.

Irrelevant of whether a laboratory can confirm it, I am pretty sure I proved you right.

Edit: For clarification, my bike gets fueled up out of a graduated container... so I am pretty confident about the results. I think that selecting the right chain for the ride is the message.

@Max Kool I see alot of adds now for that "diamond dust" coated Regina, but no first hand reports up now.

Last edited:
Aside from whether or not thats as fail as it looks, that brand does not have a good reputation in "these parts".

Kinda a bummer though, maybe'll have to look into a belt drive...

I often wonder how many chains are only labelled under a different name.

I could easily imagine that the exact same chain making machine makes similar chains, with a different logo and a different box to meet the demand of different markets... and then someone swears that the one is better than the other...🙊🙊🙊

After a very helpful discussion with a representative from RK, I decided to give something "new" a shot.

And I hypothesize that it will make the wheel turn very similarly to the other two chains, only way better. 🙃

20211006_105823.jpg

So, going touching back on the original post,
Which chain spray / lube are you all using?

I decided to take off my chain oiler as I now have a sealed (uw ring) chain on the bike and am interested to try something different.

Might use the motorex racing again, the mini bottle fits under the seat and weighs 150g less than the oiler.

Back
Top Bottom