Chains - Rites and Wrongs

BISavage

champion rider
When it comes to chains, everyone has their rituals.

I destroyed my stock chain before I hit 4000km by cleaning and greasing it with the Motorex Racing Stuff with teflon after every ride and adjusting it frequently, as it seemed to stretch on a per minute basis. (I must add, I have exclusively run the Motorex Racing products on my previous machines with excelent results)

Since then I have been using DID VX3 with Cobrra chain Oiler filled with biodegradable 90 weight. I HAVE NEVER CLEANED IT OR SPRAYED IT WITH ANYTHING! I only wipe off the excess crud every once in awhile when it starts to look dirty. It's been on the bike more than 2x as long as the stock chain and it's still like new, never needed adjustment yet.

So what is everyone else using?

I would like try the DID ERS3 Racing Chain but am not so sure if its strong enough for the 401s Powerplant. (Its listed mainly for 250cc and 300cc race machines)

What are your thoughts on Racing / Motocross / Basic Roller chains with or without O-Ring or X-Ring seals? Do you stick with X-Ring street chains religiously?

And which cleaning & lubing rituals have you found to work the best?

When it comes to chains, everyone has their rituals.

I destroyed my stock chain before I hit 4000km by cleaning and greasing it with the Motorex Racing Stuff with teflon after every ride and adjusting it frequently, as it seemed to stretch on a per minute basis. (I must add, I have exclusively run the Motorex Racing products on my previous machines with excellent results)
Is it possible that with the original chain you were over-tightening it? If it is too tight, it will stretch really fast. The best way to check this is with the shock removed and arcing the wheel to the tightest point. This is when the countershaft, swing-arm pivot and rear axle are all in line. But often you can do a good job by removing all the preload and loading the bike with rider (and maybe a passenger) and bouncing while someone checks the chain tension.

I have heard that for sealed o/x-ring chains that spraying with external lube is really cosmetic... the important lube is sealed in there by the o-xrings. Obviously you don't want too much crud on it though, and it looks way better cleaned and oiled.

So I clean/lube mine when they look dirty or dry. If it is really dirty, I spray with WD-40, scub it with a chain brush and then wipe with a rag wet with WD-40. And then I lube with a specialty chain lube or wax.

I check the tension the day before any big ride.

Is it possible that with the original chain you were over-tightening it?
Yeah, I try to keep the chain about as loose as it goes without slapping, so about exactly 5mm at the tightest point when measuring as shown in the manual.

The general consensus was that I got a Monday chain, just glad it didnt let go.

Well I noticed right away that it rolls better.
Still not sure which material sprocket I want to run; would guess steel teeth also make for the least rolling resistance?

I destroyed my stock chain before I hit 4000km by cleaning and greasing it with the Motorex Racing Stuff with teflon after every ride and adjusting it frequently, as it seemed to stretch on a per minute basis
You probably kept the tension too tight. A little loose is much better than a little too tight. 4000 km is nothing for a modern O-ring chain. You should easily get 15000 km or more...

Probably didn't help that I drove it in the winter with salt and ice and offroad.

My VX3 got wasted at about 10k because the Front sprocket was off center (you can see from the wear marks)

how did that happen? You can't adjust the position of the front sprocket... did you have play in the swingarm (as so many 401's have).

Nope, it looks like the outer teeth are off plane with the inner teeth.
The one half sprocket has abrasion marks only on the back and the other half only on the front.

Are you anal about chain maintenance? Steel lasts longer than aluminum.

I dont typically use cleaning products on the chain.

Before the bike cools down after a ride I just whipe the dirt off the chain, apply a drop of oil to each roller, and whipe off the excess while spinning the wheel.
Then I whipe the wheel with WD40.
Takes about 8 minutes in total.

In that case good luck with a non O-ring chain... ☹️

(you need to complete clean them and let the soak in warm grease on a stove regularly)

Yeah... gonna find out the hard way...
Prestretched HCR chain should hold up to the abuse for a little while.
I really am not going to recommend a moto-x chain for street use to anybody... with that being said...

The 401 really feels hardcore with the reduced rolling resistance (and weight).

Back
Top Bottom