`27 801 SE

CurveRider

contributing rider
Joined
Sep 24, 2026
Messages
7
Location
Smoky Mountains
Hi all. I'm a newbie here and bought a 801 a few days ago (sight unseen) after watching several video reviews which sold me on the bike. The OEM tires were swapped for Pirelli Diablo Rosso 4 tires and I headed for the nearby Tail-of-the-Dragon for tire-scuffing and to explore the 801. After some intense curves and feeling the great roll-on torque, I knew it was the right bike. Bar-end mirrors also replaced the OEM mirrors and I'm looking for a tail tidy and other mods. When I got home from the first ride, there was a puddle of oil on the floor and thought I already had an output shaft leak until I realized it was just excessive chain grease that had collected around the countershaft sprocket and dripped down. Relief...! 😅 Cheers from the Smoky Mountains.

Dragon_9-30-26_1.jpg
 
Hi all. I'm a newbie here and bought a 801 a few days ago (sight unseen) after watching several video reviews which sold me on the bike. The OEM tires were swapped for Pirelli Diablo Rosso 4 tires and I headed for the nearby Tail-of-the-Dragon for tire-scuffing and to explore the 801. After some intense curves and feeling the great roll-on torque, I knew it was the right bike. Bar-end mirrors also replaced the OEM mirrors and I'm looking for a tail tidy and other mods. When I got home from the first ride, there was a puddle of oil on the floor and thought I already had an output shaft leak until I realized it was just excessive chain grease that had collected around the countershaft sprocket and dripped down. Relief...! 😅 Cheers from the Smoky Mountains.

View attachment 8952
Hi and welcome to the forum. You need to keep an eye on your toes. The inside one looks close to the tarmac and you don,t have much lean angle in this photo.
 
Welcome to the forum. I’m glad to hear it was only excessive chain grease you found and not an oil leak. Have fun out there.
 
A puddle of oil after the ride being chain grease?

I would check again after cleaning it/riding it.
Alot of bikes have the seal leaking and is an easy fix under warranty.
 
Hi and welcome to the forum. You need to keep an eye on your toes. The inside one looks close to the tarmac and you don,t have much lean angle in this photo.
Thanks for the welcome and advice. 😁 You probably know that life is rarely as simple as it appears in a single photo. You astutely observed that my lean angle is shallow but my modus operandi does not show in the photo. I adjust my feet positions proportionally with the lean angle--upward as the lean angle increases and downward as it decreases. I do that because, at almost 83 years of age (with two artificial hips and bone-on-bone arthritis in my knees, ankles and feet), it hurts too much not to. My technique allows me to sport-ride with much younger mountain twisty riders which I enjoy immensely on the nearby Dragon. Should you be able to ride in your 80's, I can only hope your form will be more ideal than mine. 😉
 
A puddle of oil after the ride being chain grease?

I would check again after cleaning it/riding it.
Alot of bikes have the seal leaking and is an easy fix under warranty.
👍Yes, I understand. It was the first ride on the bike and the dealer had "greased" the chain heavily. The puddle was actually a thick, lumpy pile. Otherwise, I would be concerned. Subsequent rides show no drips. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom