Tire choices for Svartpilen

Given the relative high cost of tires, I always replace the tubes and rim strips when changing.
I've encountered too many used older bikes with positively ancient tubes in their tires.
Of course, tubes and tires can and do last a while, and the ancient tubes in some of these bikes are evidence of that. But personally, it's just not much additional expanse to put the new tubes and rim strips in.

On HD tubes:
I wouldn't put HD tubes in a street bike used on mild roads. Especially if you maintain close to stock tire pressures. They aren't going to help with a puncture by a nail or a screw. They are more helpful preventing "pinch flats" when an underinflated tire is smashed into the rim by a sharp bump.
I do put HD tubes on my enduro bike, where I never run more than 14PSI.

On sealing the RIM instead of tubes:
I really don't get this. For off road use, being able to easily swap the tube is a great positive feature! Especially with the possibility of pinch flats that are harder to patch.
For street use, where your only real concern is punctures, it makes more sense if you just want to use plugs in the tire. But most manufacturers don't recommend that. That said, if I got lots of punctures on the street, I might consider it.

When you look at the pic above, thats what I would recommend, original stuff.

Just because the tires are worn doesnt mean the tubes or rim tape are also at the end of their usable lifetime.
So I would recommend having the stuff on hand and then looking if its good or not once the tires are off.

As far as HD / non HD Tubes... do you get flats? If not, than no need to try a heavier duty type unless you plan to try much rougher terrain.
That makes sense about the rim tape and tubes still possibly being in good shape, but having new ones available just in case.

I haven't had any flats (knock on wood). My concern with the tubes is that they are going in tires that are a tubeless design (The Pirelli STR and my soon to arrive Dunlop Mutant). Supposedly due to this, they generate a bit more heat/friction and prevailing wisdom is that the speed rating of the tire is knocked down by one level as a result. Not that I've had any issues riding at 80mph for an hour which is well within most any speed rating. I hate adding extra weight that is unnecessary, especially on rotational mass, so I'd prefer to go with a standard tube which should be fine (unless it currently uses an HD tube?).

On the other hand, if I can seal up the spokes and eliminate the tubes entirely, that might be a better long term solution and allow easier flat repair (when it inevitably happens).

Given the relative high cost of tires, I always replace the tubes and rim strips when changing.
I've encountered too many used older bikes with positively ancient tubes in their tires.
Of course, tubes and tires can and do last a while, and the ancient tubes in some of these bikes are evidence of that. But personally, it's just not much additional expanse to put the new tubes and rim strips in.

On HD tubes:
I wouldn't put HD tubes in a street bike used on mild roads. Especially if you maintain close to stock tire pressures. They aren't going to help with a puncture by a nail or a screw. They are more helpful preventing "pinch flats" when an underinflated tire is smashed into the rim by a sharp bump.
I do put HD tubes on my enduro bike, where I never run more than 14PSI.

On sealing the RIM instead of tubes:
I really don't get this. For off road use, being able to easily swap the tube is a great positive feature! Especially with the possibility of pinch flats that are harder to patch.
For street use, where your only real concern is punctures, it makes more sense if you just want to use plugs in the tire. But most manufacturers don't recommend that. That said, if I got lots of punctures on the street, I might consider it.
I would liken that to "preventative maintenance". In many cases, it makes sense to change out a few things "while you're at it" so that it's not an issue down the road. Like when changing the timing belt on some cars, it makes sense to do the water pump at the same time since the majority of the labor time is already accounted for.

I don't do much rough off road, just an occasional dirt or gravel road with few jagged rocks (although it only takes one!). And hopefully my Jedi-like skills allow me to keep dodging the puncture type of debris on the streets. ;) Seems like a standard tube should be fine for my needs.

@Dan00Hawk did you get a chance to try out that Dunlop?

I just picked up another STR for the back as its gettin close, front one looks like its fresh outta truck though so its stayin on.

@Dan00Hawk did you get a chance to try out that Dunlop?

I just picked up another STR for the back as its gettin close, front one looks like its fresh outta truck though so its stayin on.
I'm still gradually wearing out my STRs. Mutants are in the garage. At this point of the year, I'll probably just swap them out during the winter.

Yeah, I was considering picking up those motorcycle tire changing tools... probably way easier than I assume
I bought mine online from Cycle Gear, and one of their shops near me will change them for $25 per tire including balancing (which I don't believe I could do). Cheap enough for me to drop them off and let them do it.

I bought mine online from Cycle Gear, and one of their shops near me will change them for $25 per tire including balancing (which I don't believe I could do). Cheap enough for me to drop them off and let them do it.

Yeah, I get mine online and a shop down the street does it for me for about the same when I bring them the wheels off the bike.

I find it crazy that they balance motorcycle tires without a machine. 🙉

So now that I have 2 wheel sets, i got 2 new back tires and took the opportunity to weigh them.

My scale was not the right size and measuring something that rolls is not what it was designed for...but the rough figures are as follows:

Rear tire 150/60 17
Pirelli Scorpion (stock): 5.8 kg
Michelin power 2CT: 4.6 kg

🤯🤯🤯

So now that I have 2 wheel sets, i got 2 new back tires and took the opportunity to weigh them.

My scale was not the right size and measuring something that rolls is not what it was designed for...but the rough figures are as follows:

Rear tire 150/60 17
Pirelli Scorpion (stock): 5.8 kg
Michelin power 2CT: 4.6 kg

🤯🤯🤯
That's some nice weight savings!

I weighed my rear Dunlop Mutant 150/60 17 at 11.4 lbs (same weight 3 times and the scale was calibrated with a 30.0 lb weight), which is equivalent to 5.17 kg. Not sure what my worn Pirelli weighs as it's still on the wheel and will probably get recycled at the shop when I swap them out.

@Dan00Hawk how are you liking the Mutant tires?
I've only got about 150 miles on them, so just getting them broken in still. Been riding on cold pavement here in Northern Illinois so I've not really pushed them too much. Definitely smoother than the Rally STRs, but I'm comparing my mental notes of those worn tires at the end of last year to now. Not exactly a scientific comparison. I'll get a chance to do some of the dirt and gravel roads around here again and get them leaned over in turns more when it's warmer over the next month or so.

Hi just want find out if other tyre size are compatible on the 401 svartpilen '21 ie 160 60 r17 or 170 60 r17? Same idea with the front. Cheers

I haven't seen Shinko 705 tires mentioned in this thread. I know they are available in 120/70 R17 and 150/70 R17. Would these fit? They seem like they would be a good 80/20 tire.

I haven't seen Shinko 705 tires mentioned in this thread. I know they are available in 120/70 R17 and 150/70 R17. Would these fit? They seem like they would be a good 80/20 tire.
Hi the 150 70 r17 won't fit. I tried shinko in this size and it rubbed against the swingarm.
There's more room in the front. Might fit the 120.

Thanks Saffa, it's too bad they didn't design the rear to fit the 150 70 r17. It would have provided many more options in an 80/20.

Haha. This topic is old but still going!

So I have no real "issues" with the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR tires but the km I'm getting don't seem the best. Mine don't quite look like @BISavage but they wear out quick (especially the rear tire). I went on a long ride Ontario -> Nova Scotia (Cabot Trail -- AMAZING). I think it was about 5,200 kms and the tires look to have about 25-30% tread left.

If I just used as an everyday commuter bike it wouldn't bother me too much, but I tend to enjoy longer trips. Now these trips definitely have quite a bit of gravel/dirt roads in them and the STR's seem to breeze through them.

To my point. The Michelin Road 6 comes in the perfect size 110/70 and 150/60. Has anyone tried them? I think @BISavage tried the Pilot Street (is that the original name of the Road 4,5,6 tires?).

And also, for those who have had experience with the Michelin Road series tires (or similar) would I be wishing I didn't have them on those gravel roads?

Rob

Back
Top Bottom