Svartpilen 125 Production Starts

Needed to re-up my stash, so I hit up the local dealer.

Saw one of these (actually more like 10) for the first time up close.

20210630_195205.jpg

As I walked by a row of them I thought they were all 401s until I saw that 401 emblem on the tank and then I realized the others were all 125s.

The engine is visibly smaller if you look, and the price tag was higher...

Edit: It also surprised me how fast they went... in the time I was their, the one out front to get picked up, a second got prepped, and a third got sold. (And a salesperson was not even there!)

Last edited:
Supply and demand, baby.
Everyone gets a 125 because:
a) you dont need a motorcycle license to drive it
b) you can ride it at a younger age with a beginner permit motorcycle license

Nobody buys a 401 because their weak.
Why upgrade from a "125 with 5hp" to a "the same bike except with 40hp" when there are twenty 690/701 supermoto and twenty 890 duke bikes staring you down in the showroom, just waiting to do wheelies, right next to some limited edition blue orange bikes, a horde of adventure bikes, and "the beast" placed modestly up on a fat pedestal.

Almost felt like I was being looked down on for riding the "cheapest bike" in the lot... they probably just jealous though 🙊

How hard / expensive is it to get an A2 license and is there a step between? Sounds like you can save money by getting a license and buying a better bike for cheaper.

I did not know you don't need a license for 125cc over there. At least in my state (USA) you need a license for anything above 49cc. But then you can walk into the drivers license center with no motorcycle experience and answer 20 questions to get a permit and ride a Panigale V4R on the street later that day (well, until you crash and die)

In the olden days, if I remember right, it was 18 questions, you needed at least 9 right, and it cost 7 dollars, and all of the answers were in the 10 page pamphlet you could read at the DMV while waiting 1st in line behind nobody for 45min so the enployees could finish talking about their private life.

With the thing with an A2 bike is, I think its often more attractive to children to buy a "real" bike and restrict the ECU to A2 level and then you dont need to upgrade again. (Cost of ownership is often NOT calculated into the decision).

Really though, the 125 Svartpilen is pretty cool for a 125.

Back
Top Bottom