LA Night Rider

As far as the 1st service goes, I have always heard that the first and only the first needs to be done at the dealer. (Warrantee - for any brand of bike - to rule out manufacturing defects should the bike fly-off something)

Depending on your area, an annual trip to the dealer will extend your HQV warranty by 1 year up to a max of 8 years. (Including free rental bike)

As far as the service reset goes, doesnt it show in the manual how to reset it completely? I know it works on the 401...

...keeping in mind that even the dealer couldnt reset the right interval at the 600 and it only worked right after the second interval reset by the dealer.
My husqvarna warranty contract says that proper maintenance performed by the owner will not void the warranty. And has no mention of the first service being considered different. I'd say as long as you keep receipts and document you maintenance it should be fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20210211_084514113~2.jpg
    IMG_20210211_084514113~2.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 8
Yeah, the main advantage in my opinion, as far as non-dealership servicing goes is that you dont have to worry about ninja software updates.

"ninja software updates"

lol, what are these? My bike runs fine, and I got no idea why I would want software updates, right?

Youve never had a vehicle that got software updated at a service without your permission, and that cant be undone?

I had one get updated and it lost 5 HP (127 to 122) on the dyno and when I drove down to say WTF they hit me with the wording: to increase driveability...

I know, I know. Which is why I will never let a dealer hook up my Indian to a computer. Too afraid they will overwrite my tune.

I'm not aware of any software update. I did my 600 mile service myself, and set the shift light to a higher rpm. It runs super strong. The only slightly annoying disadvantage I found is that you can only reset the service interval indicator to 621 miles, not 6000 as the dealer can.
Were you able to reset your service interval with the typical:

Press Mode until it shows the odometer. Then press Set until you see the wrench icon. Then press and hold Set for 10 seconds. ?

I wasn't able to get it to work, I just finished doing my oil change about an hour ago, I did it at 622 miles.

Crazy, on the 401 it changed while driving, and by itself.

The thing started flashing then lit up, then when it stopped lighting up the rev limiter was set to the higher rpms.

After that the adjustment procedure from the hand book, as Max Cool has pointed out, did what it does.

Over here in the US, warranty isn’t that good. Try finding a qualified dealer/mechanic first...

Service counter reset by owner can only reset it for the next 621 miles, the owner manual even tells you so.
What? Not on my bike, a 2020 401... I reset it and it added the appropriate mileage for the next service interval. It added 4,650 miles to my then current mileage.

I do note the service manual says something about programming the shift shaft sensor... I have no idea what that really means. Anybody know... does the dealer really do that?

I do note the service manual says something about programming the shift shaft sensor... I have no idea what that really means. Anybody know... does the dealer really do that?
There's no mention of this on the 701 first service, but I'd assume it's make sure the speedo is correct. Maybe test it with a street speed measurement thing

There's no mention of this on the 701 first service, but I'd assume it's make sure the speedo is correct. Maybe test it with a street speed measurement thing
I was thinking it was some pressure sensor for the ignition cutout / speed shifter... But I'm surprised that would require some computer adjustment?

Not on the 701. Mine never went back for the 600 mile (or any other) service to the dealer, quickshifter works just fine.

Maybe one thing you can only change after a certain number of break in miles, and that’s the shift light rpms, which you can do yourself. Mine were set at 8k and 9k at 580 miles, so actually before the official break in has passed.

Back
Top Bottom