Gas leak around right hand side

Dr.Vit

contributing rider
Hi there,

Long time lurker and proud owner of a Vitpilen 401 2020 since February of 2021.
The bike is great and I use it as a main commuter for work. It’s about 40 km there and back.

Last week I did a major tour, around 600 km’s, in our local mountains. After this trip the bike started smelling like gas at the right hand side of the tank.

I have narrowed the place of smell down to, what I presume, is the fuel supply to the cilinder. It is a big black cable with white connection to the top of the engine block.

I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem ? Or gas smell coming from the bike ?

I have already visited the garage and they can’t find any leaks.
After the major tour, the bike stood still for five days in my garage but I couldn’t find any puddles or drips of fuel around or on the bike.

Kind of bummered since the bike is wonderful but the garage isn’t being helpful. They checked all the fuel related parts but they didn’t find anything. They also cleaned up the bike but after the ride home , the bike already had the same gas smell coming from the same spot.

Maybe I can scoop up some more info here so I can pinpoint the problem with them.

Thanks for reading !

Kind regards

Hi,

I guess thats the area where it smells like gas. I really can't pinpoint it to that connection.
Have there been any issues related to these connections ?

I guess they are made of plastic and might be succeptible to fuel.

401 has no issues with fueling, except that it runs very lean.

If you cant find a leak, ride down a dusty road and look where the dust sticks.

And the tank breather hose does exit on the right hand side of the bike somewhere behind the footpeg

Last edited:
Hi again,

I know there aren’t any known problems with fueling.
I have followed the breather hose towards the footpeg and it doesn’t have a gas smell there. The smell is still coming from the region at or above your mentioned part.

If you're overfilling the tank, this can certainly happen. How far up the on that metal sight gauge are you going?

If you're overfilling the tank, this can certainly happen. How far up the on that metal sight gauge are you going?
I have read about that. I keep about a thumb distance between the fuel level and the metal sight gauge.
I also never had the 8 full bars on the display, probably because of this.

Update:

i took off the casing and noticed this spot has a stronger gas smell.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 13
Update:

i took off the casing and noticed this spot has a stronger gas smell.

So... is everything on the airbox properly connected and in good shape?
What about the vacuum hose that hooks up right there, also attached and in good shape?
Crank case breather is also attached to the air box there. Still in place?

Any of those thing will let it smell like fuel vappr and not create a dripping leak.

I dont want to sound too easy going, but in the other hand shouldn motorcycles always smell of fuel, burnt rubber and fresh oil...

So... is everything on the airbox properly connected and in good shape?
What about the vacuum hose that hooks up right there, also attached and in good shape?
Crank case breather is also attached to the air box there. Still in place?

Any of those thing will let it smell like fuel vappr and not create a dripping leak.

I dont want to sound too easy going, but in the other hand shouldn motorcycles always smell of fuel, burnt rubber and fresh oil...
Well I guess they are all attached properly. I don’t want to start fiddling around because it is still under warranty. I’ll probably head back to the shop this week and see if they can look around again.

i have the same opinion about the smell. Motorcycles should have a smell of all those ingredients.
It is just weird since my two year old vulcan s doesn’t smell of gasoline.
It just seems like a hazard when I get a gasoline smell inside my helmet while waiting at a red light.

How much miles does it have?

Maybe justifiable to let the plug get replaced while they have the tank off at the shop to check it out...

How much miles does it have?

Maybe justifiable to let the plug get replaced while they have the tank off at the shop to check it out...
I has about 2k kilometers or 1242 miles.

I’ll ask if they can replace the plug. I’ll update this when I get it back from the shop.
Thanks for the replies !

Back
Top Bottom