Engine Noise on 2020 Vit 401, Suspect Timing Chain Rattle

Joined
Sep 22, 2026
Messages
1
Location
Australia
Hello all, first post here. Picked up my bike a few weeks ago now, 21000kms on the clock. This was my first time riding decently fast on it. Was slowing down entering a parking lot and noticed a slight rattling coming from the front end, wasn't audible above maybe 5k rpm (sound clip). Not as loud as it sounds since this was recorded right next to the engine on both sides, I could just hear it through my helmet. I checked around, nothing visible was loose. Comparing a few Duke 390 clips it sounds like a stuck timing tensioner. A few minutes before I missed a shift at redline (don't ask how) and bounced it off the limiter at full throttle in gear for a split second, I think this may have caused the tensioner to stick and stop doing its job. That being said, I rode it very gingerly out of the lot and when I shifted to second the sound disappeared completely, even at idle. Appeared again maybe half an hour later at a set of lights, disappeared again when I set off. I retracted the tensioner all the way back and let it go a few times when I got back and it didn't appear to be sticking, ~2 weeks later it hasn't made that sound again.

Just wondering if I'm correct in my thinking, since I'm going to be doing a valve clearance check next week (hasn't been checked before afaik) I want to know if I should be replacing the tensioner as well or just leave it as is since it appears to be fine for now. Thanks in advance.
 
Back
Top Bottom