Duke 390 (2017 - 2023) tail tidy adapted to the 801

Tom

pro rider
Joined
Jun 10, 2024
Messages
851
Location
Germany
Here the summarized pics of how an aftermarket Duke 390 (2017 - 2023) tail tidy can be adapted to the 801.

What I've done:
A baseplate is added, the angle of the license plate mounting plate is corrected to about 45°.

01_s-l1600_05.jpeg

02_IMG_6050 2.jpeg

03_IMG_6037.jpeg

04_IMG_6041.jpeg

05_IMG_6034.jpg

06_240803_Evotech_01.jpg

09_240805_00.jpg

21_240805_09.jpg

10_240805_01.jpg

11_240805_02.jpg
 
Last edited:
I'm going this route. Have ordered a 390 Evotech kit and will be using Tom's drawing file to make the base plate.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Tom
Looking good there Tom!
Evotech really needs to hurry with their Tail tidy for 801!

Thanks!
It won't be long and everyone with an 801 has built his own tail tidy; possibly using an "alternative" Aliexpress unit instead of an Evotech... ;)

Sc4f63e42814b4361875d7bcdc744aab9u.webp
 
Last edited:
Thanks!
It won't be long and everyone with an 801 has built his own tail tidy; possibly using an "alternative" Aliexpress unit instead of an Evotech... ;)
Unfortunately I don't have access to tools, or skillset to modify those, reliant on the mercy of third-party maker.
 
Okay, I finally fitted my Evotech Duke 390 tail tidy.
My wife cut out the base plate and drilled the holes (mostly straight!) She did her best!
I then spent about 3 hours fiddling, filing and put bevels on the base plate to make it fit. It was not a slick, well engineered effort (like Tom), it was basic stuff with basic tools. But somehow it is done. Thanks Tom for your drawing files. Really appreciate that.
I also had to bend up the number plate to get a decent angle.
I scratched the tail tidy in a few places too because my holes were not precision placed. Anyway, enough excuses - here is the result:
IMG_7492.jpegIMG_7491.jpeg
 
Some pics of the Chinese "version" of the Duke 390 tail tidy together with the Remus exhaust.
As long as the db-killer is built-in, possibly it might also work without a heat shield to protect the indicator.


Tanner_03 Kopie.jpg

Tanner_02 Kopie.jpg

Tanner_01.jpg
 
Last edited:
Here also a pic of the Akrapovic exhaust togeter with the Duke 390 tail tidy; and some pic of the stock exhaust with the 390 tail tidy; with the stock exhaust a heat shield at the indicator is definitely required; otherwise the tip of the indicator gets damaged from the exhaust gases (at high rpms).

390_Akra.jpg

390_801.jpg

01_IMG_6423.jpg

08_240921_04.jpg
 
Last edited:
As it's now possible to attach PDF-files, here the attached PDF-file of the baseplate to download it.

The back of the plate must be beveled to fit the recess in the subframe perfectly, or alternatively, the plate can be cut slightly smaller.

09_240805_00.jpg 1784446602960.jpg
 

Attachments

Last edited:
Thanks!
It won't be long and everyone with an 801 has built his own tail tidy; possibly using an "alternative" Aliexpress unit instead of an Evotech... ;)

View attachment 7154
Hi
Below is the link to the STL file I created for this number plate holder (with a cable grommet for the rear dashcam).
I printed it in ASA; it holds up very well.
I did spray-paint it, though, to protect it better.


https://cults3d.com/:4573069
 
From what I can see in the photo below, the two parts holding the indicators in the Evotech tail tidy have bolts, which I guess it means they can be separated from the main holder.

1790738412411.jpg

Is that the case? If so, they can be cut shorter so that the indicators won't be right in front of the exhaust?
 
@BareseInMoto Yes, exactely.
With the standard mounts, the turn signals comply with European regulations, which require a distance of 180 mm between the "illuminated surfaces".
However, if a smaller gap is acceptable in Australia, you can shorten the mounts and the corresponding nuts.
In my case, only the tip of the original turn signal had melted; I would assume that shortening each side by about 1.5 - 2 cm might work.

Here a link to download the installation instruction with further detailed information about the assembly:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...m_125_200_390_duke_tail_tidy.pdf?v=1759753594

240803_Evotech_05.jpg

IMG_6423.jpg


Here a pic of the separated stock mounts (with some aftermarket turn signals that didn't work as expected).

240906_Motoism.jpg
 
Last edited:
Thanks Tom, your replies are always very informative!

Same here in Australia, minimum legal spacing is 180mm.

Have you tried with indicators that have aluminium casing?
 
Aluminum probably wouldn't help; it has very high thermal conductivity, so the electronics and the lens would still get damaged if exposed to the heat.
I would either use a heat shield on the turn signal (that works perfectly for me) or use shorter turn signals; or reduce the distance between the turn signals.
If you use the search function here on the forum, you’ll also find some information about turn signals / indicators on the 801.
 
Back
Top Bottom