Close call

Matt

fast rider
Took a day off yesterday for a ride with some friends. At the highway, my friend behind me saw something rolling over the road. A bit further license plate holder came off since screw went missing. Guess if that didnt happen, I might ended up in the bushes. Wheel hub (hope that's the right word for it) already shifted 0.5 inch outwards.

Now, I'm only a rider for 3 years but it's my impression these bolts should never ever come off, right?

On a side-note ... last week, bike was in the garage for maintenance. They claim they didn't touch the rear wheel.

So my question : Is this a known issue or did mechanics at the garage probably screw things up?

20210615_110203.jpg20210615_110209.jpg

That axel nut should not fall off with the correct torque on that nut.
fwiw, axel sliders would help hold it all together too, but shouldn’t be required.

YIKES! That's very scary.
Who last adjusted the chain or had other reason to remove that bolt, and how long ago; distance and time?
I'd suspect the dealer too... chain adjustment must be part of the normal service. Was the chain loose when you brought it in?

At any rate, it's a solid reminder to check some nuts yourself. I tend to put a dot of red paint on nuts so I can tell if they have moved at a glance.

Also, I hadn't realized that on the 701 the axle adjustment block was built into the "possum catcher" rear fender / license plate mount. I assume separate blocks are available so you can remove the mount? I don't think it was the problem, but that long arm provides a lot of torque to loosen / wiggle the axle bolt. On the 401, the axle adjustment bloc is completely separate.

(About 25 years ago I picked up a motorcycle from a dealer, and found a wrench still hanging from the front brake caliper bleed screw! I learned to closely inspect every vehicle I pick up from a dealer. It's sadly not uncommon to find a bolt, screw or cover missing, especially on trim pieces.)

YIKES! That's very scary.
Who last adjusted the chain or had other reason to remove that bolt, and how long ago; distance and time?
I'd suspect the dealer too... chain adjustment must be part of the normal service. Was the chain loose when you brought it in?

At any rate, it's a solid reminder to check some nuts yourself. I tend to put a dot of red paint on nuts so I can tell if they have moved at a glance.

Also, I hadn't realized that on the 701 the axle adjustment block was built into the "possum catcher" rear fender / license plate mount. I assume separate blocks are available so you can remove the mount? I don't think it was the problem, but that long arm provides a lot of torque to loosen / wiggle the axle bolt. On the 401, the axle adjustment bloc is completely separate.

(About 25 years ago I picked up a motorcycle from a dealer, and found a wrench still hanging from the front brake caliper bleed screw! I learned to closely inspect every vehicle I pick up from a dealer. It's sadly not uncommon to find a bolt, screw or cover missing, especially on trim pieces.)
Ooow the red dot is surely a valuable tip. First thing i'll do tomorrow.

Chain wasnt loose no. Maybe cause of my ... eerm ... 'riding-style' , the arm had some extra vibrations. But still, should be lock-tight tbh.

So, that needs to be torqued properly or it will gradually loosen and come off.

Bad habbit I have seen used many times, especially during tire change, is to pull torque wrench fast, whereas a slow pull on the torque wrench can often yield an extra 1/4 turn.

Chain wasnt loose no. Maybe cause of my ... eerm ... 'riding-style' , the arm had some extra vibrations. But still, should be lock-tight tbh.

401 is like 90nm, thats enough to where you need to hold the bike down when you tighten it or it lifts off the ground.

No licktite, and not caused by hardcore style (is it even possible to ride non-hardcore in 701 fashion?)

That should never happen and can only be blamed on whoever last tightened it up. Most rear axles are held on with crown nut and split pin to stop it coming loose.

The thing you call the hub that has come out a bit is probably a spacer. There are often spacers each side of the wheel to make sure the brake disc and chain line up properly.

Because of the design of the swing arm the wheel can move out of position but can't fall away from the bike but will be out of alignment. Hitting the brakes hard might have bent the disc, so better to check that.

Also, I hadn't realized that on the 701 the axle adjustment block was built into the "possum catcher" rear fender / license plate mount. I assume separate blocks are available so you can remove the mount?

Some of the tail tidies that you can buy online advertise that they include a wheel mount block to replace the rear catcher mount when it's like this.

Who last adjusted the chain?
I guess the garage during maintenance ... but they will never admit that. Manager said he will sit around the table with his mechanics, but I doubt I will be informed about the result of that meeting.

I know at my last service, they let the apprentice so the work, and then as I rolled out to the lot the master mechanic ran after me with a torque wrench, just to be sure....

I've done my own maintenance forever but when I retired a few years ago I figured I was old enough to have somebody else do it. I've never had a serious problem with the two dealers that my bikes have come from and only one issue.

I once picked the bike up after a routine service and noticed that the air filter - round exposed cleanable mesh style on an Indian - hadn't been cleaned. I rode back to the shop and showed the service manager. He was very apologetic and had somebody take it inside and clean it immediately. Then he said, 'the problem with something like this is that we can't tell if there is anything else not done properly that's not so obvious. I'm not having that. His reaction impressed me, there was no deflecting or minimising at all.

I've done my own maintenance forever but when I retired a few years ago I figured I was old enough to have somebody else do it. I've never had a serious problem with the two dealers that my bikes have come from and only one issue.

I once picked the bike up after a routine service and noticed that the air filter - round exposed cleanable mesh style on an Indian - hadn't been cleaned. I rode back to the shop and showed the service manager. He was very apologetic and had somebody take it inside and clean it immediately. Then he said, 'the problem with something like this is that we can't tell if there is anything else not done properly that's not so obvious. I'm not having that. His reaction impressed me, there was no deflecting or minimising at all.
They way it should be ... they should take some responsibility at least

I just had mine serviced and checked the axle nuts. They were tight but the alignment nuts were loose. Thanks for the reminder to double check things!

I got a recall letter in the mail today.
Contact your dealer asap, because when mounted incorrectly the license plate holder can drop and the rear axle nut may come off.
Coincidence, I think not 🤔

I got a recall letter in the mail today.
Contact your dealer asap, because when mounted incorrectly the license plate holder can drop and the rear axle nut may come off.
Coincidence, I think not 🤔
Well at least me raging at my dealer, did some good. Told him, I dont want heads to roll, but that this should be adressed immediately.

Back
Top Bottom