Anyone bend down their stock mirrors?

Dr.Shifty

expert rider
I know a lot of people swap out their stock mirrors for bar-end etc but I'm generally OK with the stock, except I'd like them a few inches wider. I thought I might be able to bend them down a bit so they come out a little wider. I took off a mirror to see what it's made of. It's a thick walled tube so I'm wary of trying to bend it as it might flatten on the bend.

Has anyone tried bending them down? I'd be happy to hear your experience - if they bend OK, and if they end up a bit wider to show less shoulder and more road.

Bending them is an interesting idea! Let us know if that works. I bought these and am happy with them...
1621006935110.jpg

I know a lot of people swap out their stock mirrors for bar-end etc but I'm generally OK with the stock, except I'd like them a few inches wider. I thought I might be able to bend them down a bit so they come out a little wider. I took off a mirror to see what it's made of. It's a thick walled tube so I'm wary of trying to bend it as it might flatten on the bend.

Has anyone tried bending them down? I'd be happy to hear your experience - if they bend OK, and if they end up a bit wider to show less shoulder and more road.

Excellent idea.

As far as tube bending goes... you have the right size bender (or soda bottle)?

Excellent idea.

As far as tube bending goes... you have the right size bender (or soda bottle)?

Nope. :(
It's mostly a case that if I ask enough mates I find someone who has what I need. A lot of my tools have ended up in my son's shed as he's more likely to be using them than me.

Bending them is an interesting idea! Let us know if that works. I bought these and am happy with them...
View attachment 1606

Thanks for the Kiwav link. The style you have is now only available in chrome or blue, but they have several others that I'm checking out. I like the hinge at the base.

Just note that the outside edge of the mirror past the line curves. So that it gives you a wider rear view, but not necessarily more straight back. I like them, but just note the curve.

Nope. :(
It's mostly a case that if I ask enough mates I find someone who has what I need. A lot of my tools have ended up in my son's shed as he's more likely to be using them than me.
We always (professionally) used a soda bottle to custom bend tubing when a bender was not available.

I am sure anything that holds it on 3 sides and has a smooth radius will do the trick.

With the MotoGadget ones I got the angle is adjustable and it is just finding the balance between enough room for the hands and best possible sight, and they work well.

We always (professionally) used a soda bottle to custom bend tubing when a bender was not available.
Okay, I'll bite. I did a quick search and found nothing on using a soda bottle to bend tubing. How does one do this? Truly intrigued.

Ideally youll want a bottle which fits the tube youre about to bend, here is an example of one I had laying around... not easy to bend though... gonna need some extra leverage and something to protect the paint...

20210515_172550.jpg

I managed to bend them down and will try them out tomorrow.

To bend them I made up a wooden jig. I drilled into a solid block of timber with drills that matched the size of the tube and the narrower threaded portion. At the top of the hole I used a burr to round off the edge so it locked in the tube as it bent over. The jig was held in a vice and I used a sash clamp to force the tube over. It was a bit clumsy but it worked.

The lower edge of the mirrors used to be 160mm above the grips, now they are 110mm. That's about two inches lower but it won't be until I give them a test ride to see if the extra spread gives me better rear vision.

Just a thought, I remember hearing that the old time plumbers used to fill their tubing with sand at the bend so it wouldn't kink. Never tried it but it makes sense

I thought of the sand thing but that technique only works for thinner walled tubing. I bent mine down to the point where it was just about to flatten, even when it was being held in a carved out wooden jig.

The difference is that I now have better rear vision, but not the best. The mirrors are wider apart but they are also lower and my arms are also wider apart close to the grips. It was worth doing but I still have to move my head a bit to see traffic behind me.

The mirrors are now 80cm, my Triumph Tiger mirrors are 90cm and have excellent rear view.

Back
Top Bottom