701 faults and durability

NickC

contributing rider
I am considering long term ownership of my 701 Vitpilen, especially as sale prices are so low in UK. So can I ask others - 1. Have you found any major faults, other than those often noted such as clutch slave cylinder problems and magnets falling off the side stand? And 2. How many miles have you clocked up? I have only done some 3300 miles and would like to hear experiences of those who have done a lot more miles. Thanks all. Keep scratching!

Nearly 7000K, all weathers and right through the winter. No problems aside from the clutch.

Clutch slave at under 1000miles, and recently I had to change the plunger in the clutch master at 5500 miles. Both easily fixed btw.

Still on the original fuel tank. No electronic problems. Runs like a charm.

Last edited:
poor battery & break fluid leak on the hand leaver new Tank without previous leak issue...switched to rekluse slave before clutch issue came significant ...some times display flickers not sure if thats at break and shake moments only or cause of streched cables from the Bosch unit ...
all in all its doing a fantastic job ...if you flip the gearing to a lower setting i mean

Tank recall done by dealer. Occasional flaky display were an early issue for me - I dropped in a lithium battery and that all went away ( I bought a 2019 in 2020 and the battery had 401/2018 had written in marker on it :(

I did have it cut out on me a couple of time before I switched the battery - and dropped the gearing, put on a fuel dongle. Lower speed tractability is now good.

No other issues.

Tank recall done by dealer. Occasional flaky display were an early issue for me - I dropped in a lithium battery and that all went away ( I bought a 2019 in 2020 and the battery had 401/2018 had written in marker on it :(

I did have it cut out on me a couple of time before I switched the battery - and dropped the gearing, put on a fuel dongle. Lower speed tractability is now good.

No other issues.
do you have any recommendation on lithium battery maybe a smaller then stock size? ... i had as well an 2018 in the 2020 model (which were build 2019)
got a newer one under warranty but its still same clumsy shit piece ..

do you have any recommendation on lithium battery maybe a smaller then stock size? ... i had as well an 2018 in the 2020 model (which were build 2019)
got a newer one under warranty but its still same clumsy shit piece ..

I used the

Shorai LFX Battery - LFX18A1​

which has a very nice kit of rigid foam stick on padding to mimic the original battery size. Used it on a couple of bikes, very slick. This may be overkill of a battery for the 701, but the electronics on this bike does not like marginal batteries.

Last edited:
do you have any recommendation on lithium battery maybe a smaller then stock size?

Battery in Big and Little 'pilens is the same so figured I would chime in...
Been using the one I have for 1.5 years now, started even at -10°c without any waiting to heat up.

Shido LTX14-BS

They make 2 versions, one for 60 bucks that has a push button to check voltage, and one for 90 bucks which has bluetooth to check voltage, I have the push botton one.

Its a little bit smaller, and much lighter.

Battery in Big and Little 'pilens is the same so figured I would chime in...
Been using the one I have for 1.5 years now, started even at -10°c without any waiting to heat up.

Shido LTX14-BS

They make 2 versions, one for 60 bucks that has a push button to check voltage, and one for 90 bucks which has bluetooth to check voltage, I have the push botton one.

Its a little bit smaller, and much lighter.
i just checked and i could find some for 130 to 160 Swiss bucks ...and a BS Q version even cost at polo 185 so guess i have to cross boarders for that upgrade ;)

25k km, long distance travels, daytrips, racetrack. New clutch, new tank (both on warranty by dealer), sidestand magnet glued (and 3 spare magnets stuck on frame). The ugly speedo is a joke, but the bike is fun like no other. Go for it

I Really like the number plate solution a bit Harley-like but it rocks, so do you ever touch the street in certain corners with it`?

My clutch started slipping this week and its going to need a clutch kit and replacement hub. Only 4000km but out of warranty now. If you notice the bite point of your clutch moving out investigate it early.

Since I need a new one - has anybody tried the rekluse torq or auto clutch? They don’t list the vit 701 on their website but the part #s look identical to the 701 sm/enduro.

Before you change the clutch, check your clutch master cylinder. Mine had a problem with the piston not returning completely, which made the clutch slip.

A buddy of mine with a Super Duke R had the exact same thing recently. A 35 dollar part…

The bike is with my dealer while the parts make their way here so I'll ask them to take a look. It was like riding a 50cc scooter (no power to the wheels) by the time I brought it in so damage had been done :(

Since I need a new one - has anybody tried the rekluse torq or auto clutch?

I dont have a full sized engine... I do have a Rekluse "automatic" clutch.

It has surely saved my paint job on countless occasions.

When it wears out, it will be replaced with the same.

New clutch is in but the quick shifter is no longer working... Everything works perfectly with the clutch lever so I'm wondering if there is some sort of reset required to activate it (The mechanic said they did a software update on the bike while they had it)?

Back
Top Bottom