2020 Vitpilen 401 - Exhaust Backdating

FourOhOne

contributing rider
u/DonutOne hit me up on Reddit and said y'all might be interested in my findings. Here's the short version; I put 2017 Duke 390 OEM exhaust on my 2020 Vit 401 with no issues whatsoever. This means all exhaust across all makes and years will interchange, neat huh!?!

qrfb0jn233m61.jpg

I can go over the details in writing or just answer any questions anyone has after watching the installation video -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks!

Excellent information and video! Thank you.

I have a bunch of questions...
  • Did the 2020+ old muffler clamp not fit on the end of the 2017 pipe? Or was there some other reason you left it off?
  • I have heard the 2020+ has two cats, one in the middle of the header and one right in front of the resonator box... is that true?
  • Can you tell any difference in how the bike runs? I was thinking maybe the ECU had a new tune for the dual cat setup... but I do see you are running a slip on, so maybe it's harder to tell with that?
  • Is it possible to mount the 2017 skid plate on the 2020+?

Excellent information and video! Thank you.

I have a bunch of questions...
  • Did the 2020+ old muffler clamp not fit on the end of the 2017 pipe? Or was there some other reason you left it off?
  • I have heard the 2020+ has two cats, one in the middle of the header and one right in front of the resonator box... is that true?
  • Can you tell any difference in how the bike runs? I was thinking maybe the ECU had a new tune for the dual cat setup... but I do see you are running a slip on, so maybe it's harder to tell with that?
  • Is it possible to mount the 2017 skid plate on the 2020+?

You are very welcome, thank you for watching!
  • The 2020 exhaust is all slip fit and nothing transfers over as far as clamps and seals. Put another way, zero of the 2020 exhaust can be used with anything older* (*the O2 sensor could be used but wires are shorter)
  • There are indeed two cats, one up front and one where the header pipe goes into the muffler box
  • The bike rides just the same as before, no noticeable difference other than the volume from the aftermarket pipe
  • I can't see why it would not fit but I don't have one to test, my only concern would be the 'Easy Shift' hardware interfering

Actually, in the video you remove the 2020 harness. Did you put that one back on? Or use a 2017?
Good point and idea to reuse your known good O2 sensor!

Actually, in the video you remove the 2020 harness. Did you put that one back on? Or use a 2017?
Good point and idea to reuse your known good O2 sensor!
I'm afraid I don't follow, what harness are we talking about? Zero wiring was removed and/or modified to make this work. I simply unplugged the coil and O2 sensor and plugged them back in.

Maybe I'm confused. Is the sensor that plugs into the header separable from it's cable? Or is it permanently attached to it's pigtail?
I thought I had read that the pigtail cable was a different length on the 2017 than the 2020.
I think you are saying you used the 2020 sensor AND the attached cable. And that maybe they don't come apart...

I did some parts book research in case anyone else is interested in comparing...

2017 KTM (USA)
2017 KTM.jpg

2019 Svart (USA)
2019 Husky.jpg

2020 Svart (USA)
2020 Husky.jpg

Maybe I'm confused. Is the sensor that plugs into the header separable from it's cable? Or is it permanently attached to it's pigtail?
I thought I had read that the pigtail cable was a different length on the 2017 than the 2020.
I think you are saying you used the 2020 sensor AND the attached cable. And that maybe they don't come apart...
There is no sub-harness that connects the O2 to the main harness, it just plugs right in and has a permanent connection on the sensor side.

The pigtail/wiring for the O2 sensor is longer on the 2020 but the older wiring has more than enough length to make it if needed. Best practice would just be to stick with the 2020 sensor.

Great work on the parts diagrams too!! Certainly confirms that several parts are identical.

FWIW the muffler gasket (PN 93805005100) was backordered when I went looking recently.

Any issues with the header being close to the rear shock? I saw your video, found a 2018 svartpilen complete exhaust on eBay and am considering this swap onto my 2020 Vitpilen.

Nope, no issue.
Just adjust your shock settings with the bike warm.

With the fat cat there you can feel the warmth more vs. otherwise... still no comparison to many other bikes as far as feeling heat goes though.

I am planning to do this exhaust swap. I have a quick question.
Does the 2020 OEM slipon fit on the KTM exhaust?

Back
Top Bottom