Rear tire size...

Max Kool

pro rider
Yo!

A friend of mine just received the first of a few Badwinners shipments to build her own Badwinners Leclerc 701. Yes, the full monty!

Anyway, included in the kit are 5.5x17" Dymag carbon fiber wheels. This size should accept 180 width tires. Here's the thing, I know first hand even a 160 on a 5" rear wheel can be pretty tight at the chain side. My first -OEM- rear tire rubbed the chain ever so slightly as soon as the chain tension got a little loose, and yes the wheel was properly aligned.

Some guy on the other forum installed BST or Rotobox wheels on his Vitpilen a while ago and ran into issues at the chain side intitially. Some tires fit, others are just too close to the chain. So my question to the collected wisdom here: which 180 tires (brand, model) are know to fit between the swingarm on a 5.5" rim without rubbing the chain?

Last edited:
Screenshot_20210915-233114_Samsung Internet.jpg

If I am not mistaken only the z900 / mt-07 can fit a db killer, the normal 701 cr-t and all other bikes are with no killer and not street legal, except the s1000 with no killer and still street legal.

And in the pictures here, the tires look like they sport the Pirelli Diablo "lightning bolt" tread pattern

I wonder if running a narrower chain would stop the rubbing issue?
Was thinking about whether the 70hp rated 520mxu would work on a 701 and I remembered this topic.

No, but some experience in classics. Adjusting each nipple on the left -1/4 turn and on the right +1/4 turn should do the job. Probably not all standard spoked wheels on the Pilens where centered well by the factory. (On classic bikes it was not uncommon to spoke the wheels offset to get more clearance on one side. You always need to measure before taking a wheel apart. Might be the same with wider aftermarket wheels.)

Back
Top Bottom