401 Ways to Filter Air

BISavage

champion rider
Found this, Sprint Filter:

Which made me curious.

Wonder if its better at filtering or performance than one of these DNA Racing Filters:

So, paper filters last like a month for me, and cleaning a DNA requires time to clean and dry, so the Sprint cleaning routine of blowing it out with air is pretty appealing.

Anyone got any opinions; K&N, BMC, DNA, Sprint, Stock?

(I know Ive have had such good performance with paper on 401, its just a feeling I got that with the arrow pipe a bit more air isnt the worst idea)

Edit: to include K&N and BMC

Last edited:
Anyone got any opinions; K&N, BMC, DNA, Sprint, Stock?

From the internet here are some specs.
91.95 cfm stock *foam filter* (dna webpage)
113.9 cfm DNA (dna webpage)
129.6 cfm DNA Racing (dna webpage)
142.1 cfm K&n using stock airbox (k&n downloadable bench test results)
No cfm listed for BMC
No cfm listed for Sprint

Now I am throughly confused when DNA gets into stage 2...

37.4 Stock airbox and paper filter (dna webpage)
73.3 Stock airbox with Stage 1 Racing and Stage 2 lid.

Do you have to have ecu mapped to take advantage of higher air flow?

To a certain extent, the stock bike will adjust to compensate for a filter or slip-on with the o2 sensor.

To gain additional power from mods, additional fuel is needed.

(Also for major mods like when using lid and cat delete it is advised to used a tune)

So after testing some filters today...

I am starting to get concerned that I will end up liking the version with less power because it gives the bike more feel... man does that sound wimpy.

So, I must say that the air filter isnt as easy as I thought.

Only thing I would conclude thus far is that the different air filters make the exhaust sound different... weird...

Nah, I have enough small dust to clean off the inside of the airbox after using a racing filter.

Depending on the weather Ive been getting very different results with the racing filters, whereas with the stock filter or coober lid the weather seems to have little or no weather related performance issues.

Anyways, I am starting to notice some things.
Different exhaust pipes run better with different air filters 🙉🙉🙉

Felt like my current setup wasnt "tuned" right... it was at the "only almost" level.

So, I grabbed a used dirty paper air filter and put the stock lid on and ... 🙊🙊🙊🙊

Scientifically speaking... the reduced weight of paper vs. K&N and stock lid vs. DNA Stage 2 changed the f/r distribution so dramatically that the front wheel didnt want to stay on the ground anymore...

I am thoroughly confused at this point. My FuelX Lite is about to land on my doorstep, and I'm trying to decide what filter/cover to use. Did you decide which one is best? Scientifically and emotionally. Thanks.

I think the moral of the story was, that depending in which exhaust pipe you use, one type or the other air filter will work better.

Are you using original exhaust and header?

Yes, I still have the same pipes. I am no longer looking for the fastest/loudest bike on the block. My other bike is a SuperSoco TCMax (electric-which is now for sale). What got me interested in this thread was the improvement in low RPM slow/traffic city driving. Nevertheless, I've never turned town a bit more speed and power.

Back
Top Bottom