Vitpilen 701 modifications

For the the pegs, yes the aprilla ones fit, MFW also makes high quality ones very similar to those.

And for the complete rear sets, is there not a machine shop in your area? For that amount of cash...

I would have alot more custom stuff if the regulations would allow, that's for sure.

So, here's a list of changes I made to my Vit. Some are the more obvious ones, some not so.

Engine, base motorcycle:
- Rottweiler fuel dongle (cleans up low rpm throttle response), airbox lid delete, sas/canister delete.
- 15/42 gearing
- Oberon slave cylinder
- LiFePo battery
- Conti Sport Attack 3, Brembo SC pads

Ergos:
- Gilles 35mm bar risers (my wrists are so happy with these)
- longer Magura clutch lever (hated the short one, pinched my ring finger)
- Renthal Intellilever brake lever
- 25mm raised footpegs
- centrally mounted GPS
- throttle spacers to eliminate the slack in the throttle
- CRG Lanesplitter on the left bar (you don't need two with how convex these are), and Sato internal bar weights to keep vibrations down.

IMG_9468.jpeg

12128D44-606D-44C2-8692-B0E786B5B15D.jpg

Just for fun:
- small (European?) blinkers
- Evotech Performance tail tidy
- Svartpilen silver tank rear cover
- and probably a few more things I forgot

Soon to do:
- Experiment with fork fluid levels and viscosity. I like the forks, but they lack rebound, and could use a slightly smaller air gap maybe to prevent bottoming out. May even try the Lainer Suspension cartridges one day. I just never took fork cartridges apart, so may lack the tools.

- Rear shock. So much wrong here imho. I can't completely put my finger on it. Spring seems too stiff for a 185-190 lbs rider fully geared up, could even be the progressive rising rate that's off. It compresses then suddenly becomes rock hard. Rebound damping seems to get harder higher in the stroke (yes, higher). Tail needs to come up anyway to quicken up the steering a bit. I love a rear shock that has good low speed damping, but lower high speed damping to soak up ruts and stuff. The stock shock doesn't do that.

To be continued, I love this bike.

Have you got a link to where you got those footpegs?
I've got 7,5W putoline fork oil in my rebound leg, same amount put in, as came out. (little less than 0,5L) this definitely improved things. But I still have the adjuster at 2 or 3 clicks from closed.
I came across the lainer valves last week, but I have never heard of lainer before, and am a bit suspicious they offer the same valve for the Vit, svart and 701 sumo. I'd say they need different characteristics.

Soon to do:
- Experiment with fork...

- Rear shock...

It really shows when someone likes their bike.

NE ways, i know i only have the baby bike, but i really am pleased with the hyperpro rear.
It makes the bike feel much more expensive ...and at the same time it shows that something needs to happen to the fork to balance it out.
So I too will be looking into fork upgrade.

Happy tuning.

I came across the lainer valves last week, but I have never heard of lainer before, and am a bit suspicious they offer the same valve for the Vit, svart and 701 sumo. I'd say they need different characteristics.
That's my thought too. Maybe they ask you during the purchase process? If I end up getting them I will just go to their shop and have them install them. They're like an hour or two from my home.

But I'm going to experiment with oil first. ;)

2019 Vitpilen Modifications – this has taken ~25 lb off of the bike weight. I have 1500 miles on the bike now.

Engine – this set of modifications has made the bike much more tractable riding here in the Santa Cruz mountain twisties

15T front sprocket to correct too tall gearing

Rottweiler fuel dongle to take care of lean running under 3500 RPM

Air box lid delete – immediately gave me more torque – engine is breathing much better

Rottweiler SAS and Fuel Canister delete - I can actually fit a tool kit under the seat now

eBay radiator protector – Very nice for a cheap price

Leo Vince Cat delete – the cat is incredibly heavy – just the right amount of sound for me - Braaaaaaaap

Ergos

Lane splitter bar end mirrors + mirror mount plug covers – kept the factory bar weights

FE1 bar raisers – the stock riding position was just not right for me despite have other clip-on bikes. Keeps the clean look.

Long Magura clutch lever

Dart flyscreen

Cosmetics + weight reduction

New Rage Cycle front and rear turn signals – love these signals, fit in very nicely with the bike’s design

New Rage Cycle tail tidy – so happy to be rid of that monster hugger on the rear tire.

OEM passenger pegs/seat delete, OEM billet pegs

Wunderkin Instrument cover – improve the look of the yogurt lid instrument panel

1019201353b (2).jpg
1019201353.jpg

Last edited:
The screen does look good - what fixings did you use for it? Dart don’t sell a specific kit for the Vit.

Oh hello there up North! (gre

The screen does look good - what fixings did you use for it? Dart don’t sell a specific kit for the Vit.
I used the Ducati Scrambler fitting. The Bracket needs to be flattened, then bent to miss the mount bumps for the turn signals. Took about 20 minutes of fooling around to get it mounted solidly.

That's my thought too. Maybe they ask you during the purchase process? If I end up getting them I will just go to their shop and have them install them. They're like an hour or two from my home.

But I'm going to experiment with oil first. ;)
I've sent them an email with some questions, one of them being if the valve is the same for the Vit and the sumo since they have different diameter forks.
This was their response:
"Yes the forks are different but the inner pistons should be the same, I never opened the Vitpilen but checking the spare parts it looks the same."

Looking at exploded views/parts diagrams of the forks of the Vit and the sumo, they don't look the same to me.
Two completely different cartridges I'd say.
Sumo 701:
Screenshot_20201024_224704_com.android.chrome.jpg

Vit 701:
Screenshot_20201024_224723_com.android.chrome.jpg

This does not fill me with confidence.

You can’t see the cartridge pistons in this pic.

they could be the same dimensions (but may still require different shimming).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom