Quick shifter problem...

Alexandru.k_24

fast rider
Hello guys,

Today I did some work to my motorcycle, and now, the quick shifter doesn't work normally. I have replaced the shift star and the shift arm, with a factory pro one. I have also replaced the oil during this job(Motul 300V² 10W50). The problem now, is that sometimes, I can not shift to upper gear unless I depress the clutch lever, no matter how hard I push the shift lever. Also, I can not shift gears over 7000rpm, unless I depress the clutch lever. Before this job, the quick shifter worked normally. Not perfect, but usable. What could go wrong ? Does quick shifter need a recalibration, or something like that?
1000005475.jpg1000005474.jpg1000005473.jpg1000005472.jpg

Hello guys,

Today I did some work to my motorcycle, and now, the quick shifter doesn't work normally. I have replaced the shift star and the shift arm, with a factory pro one. I have also replaced the oil during this job(Motul 300V² 10W50). The problem now, is that sometimes, I can not shift to upper gear unless I depress the clutch lever, no matter how hard I push the shift lever. Also, I can not shift gears over 7000rpm, unless I depress the clutch lever. Before this job, the quick shifter worked normally. Not perfect, but usable. What could go wrong ? Does quick shifter need a recalibration, or something like that?
View attachment 5294View attachment 5295View attachment 5296View attachment 5297
Yeah. Recalibration requires a trip to the dealer.

@Satur9
Strange that recalibration is needed, after this work, because absolutely every removed and reinstalled part has a fixed position. What I'm thinking, is that in the little black plastic box on the shifter shaft is a magnet that I removed to clean the dust from the clutch discs. That magnet, being rectangular, I'm thinking that it could have been reassembled in several positions and possibly installed in another position, thus messing up the polarity of the magnet.

1000005483.jpg

It's position doesn't look different to the manual. Do you have the workshop manual?
1714026580960.jpg1714026801607.jpg

Why did you changed the star and the lever?

@Vatte
Regarding the position sensor, I didn`t simply removed it from the shifter arm. I removed the plastic cover from it, and took the magnet out to clean it. The magnet is a rectangular shape, so it can be mounted back in several positions. So, my theory is that maybe I didn`t instaled it in the same position, so the polarity of the magnets is different now. Regarding the shift star and lever...my motorcycle had the old shift star, wich was prone to failure, so I replaced it with the new model. The lever, I heard that the factory pro one is better than the original one. The original one has a roller instead of a bearing. So, in theory the shifting should be smoother with this one. Using the clutch, the shifts are smoother, indeed, than before replacing the lever.
star.jpgUntitled.jpgarm.jpg

I asked because, there a many experiences that neither the star, the lever or the spring is a sufficient solution against false neutrals.

I have not had problems, so often, with false neutrals. In driver's school, I had a bike that was hard to get into gear. That's how I got used to press hard on the shifter 😂 so...no false neutrals here.

I think it is the same type of sensor (Hall effect sensor). So I may have installed the magnet in the wrong position. Since the magnet is rectangular, there are at least 4 positions that can be mounted. So I just ordered a new sensor because I don't want to make 3 more attempts. Usually the last one is the right one 😂.

@Satur9
Strange that recalibration is needed, after this work, because absolutely every removed and reinstalled part has a fixed position. What I'm thinking, is that in the little black plastic box on the shifter shaft is a magnet that I removed to clean the dust from the clutch discs. That magnet, being rectangular, I'm thinking that it could have been reassembled in several positions and possibly installed in another position, thus messing up the polarity of the magnet.

View attachment 5301
If you search here. You will find instances of people needing quick shifter recalibrated. Sometimes without even touching anything internally. . But now that you clarified you moved magnet. And already purchased new sensor. Swapping would be the best bet .

OK guys, finally, the needed part (magnet holder), has arrived. I have replaced it, and everything seems fine. Quick shifter works again🥳! After replacing the shifter lever and spring with the Factory PRO one, upshifts (using quick-shifter) are absolutely perfect. Not so perfect with the downshifts...I must press a little harder on the lever to engage a lower gear. My question is...the dealer quick-shifter calibration involves the diag tester? Or is simply mechanic, using the adjustment nuts?
PXL_20240303_153741304.jpg

@Vatte I thought so, but I thought I'd ask, just to be sure. Then...I'll make a quick visit to the dealer, maybe I can get the downshifts to go as smooth as upshifts after a recalibration.

Back
Top Bottom