Winter Prep Thread

BISavage

champion rider
So there are some who have a strict rule set on this winter stuff, whether it be parking it taking the battery out and in spring putting the old fuel in the lawnmower and changing the oil, or riding the whole winter through.

Here are my thoughts:
I like to ride the whole year except on days where the road is salty.
From that point of view I was considering winterizing my bike by-

1. putting the stock air filter and stock pipe on to prevent unnecessary exposure of the fancy stuff to harsh environments (riding style in winter does not justify the "racing" performance).
2. Coating the materials with wax or oil or something or both. I did this last year and was left unsatisfied with my choice of product(s) and am looking for something new.

What are your opinions / experiences?

Not sure where you live, but where I am in upstate NY, I stop riding the first time they salt the roads after a storm. There is pretty much nothing that can be surface applied to stave off the ravaging effects of road salt. The only possible solution is an immediate and thorough wash afterwards, which can of course be difficult since most of us don't have heated indoor wash down facilities, and it's probably too cold to wash outside. It just finds its way in everywhere. I have an older truck in great condition that is my daily driver, and even the insides of the keyed lock cylinders are corroding from the salt. I have no choice but to drive it, and certainly can't wash it after every time I take it out. Seeing how quickly and easily the salt annihilates things, I just can't subject my bikes to it as well. My 2 cents.

ECJ

I used to use prolong brand stuff I got from an infomercial years ago, worked great.

I used some spray stuff and I didnt like it.

I was wondering if I take the bike apart and use car nano wax on the painted stuff like the plastics and the frame, if the logos/stickers will get eaten...

I ride all year round, but only when the roads are dry. If they are salted I brush the dry salt dust off when I get home. My bike is fitted with Pyramid Plastics front Fender extender and rear hugger extender. These keep a lot of road grime off my bike. I also apply ACF50 with a small brush to the parts of the bike I want to protect, like fixings, welds, the underside of the frame, etc... If there is a build up of damp road salt, my hubby washes the bike (he's a vehicle detailing expert) and then I re-apply the ACF50 again afterwards.
So far no rust or corrosion, except for the exhaust. At some point I'll remove the exhaust and get it blasted and Cerakoted.

ACF-50

An anti-corrosive used on airplanes. Coat my Ural in this for winter. Can be sprayed on everything including electronics (not disc brakes).

Fluid Film

A lanolin based coating which similar to ACF-50 but based on wool wax. I coat my winter tools with this.

These are the best options for riding a motorcycle in winter.

One comment to 1. The bike runs way different with the stock stuff on. I want to say, it's better for winter because the power is much more linear, and far less aggressive in the mid range. (and my butt dyno says the stock filter/pipe make much more top end than the racing filter/pipe.)

Another winter prep question:
I had previously used moto clean to clean the bike, it worked ok.

What do all of you use?

First wash the bike then spray it on everything except brake rotors. I'll then use a cloth to spread it around and make sure that it gets everywhere.

If you do plan to ride with it on I would avoid the seat, pegs, and grips, anything you will touch with your body.

Do a little test ride because if you get it on the brake rotor you won't be able to stop. You will have to do a bunch of stop, go stop go to burn it off the rotor.

Back
Top Bottom