Weird gear noise at 4000 RPMs - Svartpilen 200

casco

new rider
Hi !

I got a Svartpilen 200, with a bit over 1000Km.

Since day one, I could perceive a weird noise on the right side of the engine, on 2º or 3º gear, almost exactly at 4000 RPM. Normally while slowing down or cruising in slow traffic. It sound as if some moving part inside the engine would be out of balance . Has anyone noticed it?

Out of that, the engine sounds smooth and beautiful, specially at high RPMs.

Yours,
Alejandro

Vintage Veloce

pro rider
"weird noise on the right side of the engine...It sound as if some moving part inside the engine would be out of balance"
Can you describe this noise better?
Does it only happen on "coast down"? Does it ever happen under acceleration?
I know it's the other side of the bike, but check your chain tension. Maybe make it a little looser or tighter and see if that changes things.
This is an extreme example with the rear wheel in the air, but you can get some sounds like this on coast down from the chain sometimes...

OP
casco

casco

new rider
Thanks Vintage for the video ! That is not the noise I hear. Moreover, chain tension seems ok. Anyway it was a good thing to check.

After some more experiments, I could now limit the occurrence of the noise to the combination of 4000 RPMs (in any gear), and any street bumps.
In fact, if I take a passenger, it disappears. If I sit at the back of the seat, it disappears.

On the good side, I can rule out engine/gears problems.

I'll figure it out, or I'll learn to ignore it :D

Vintage Veloce

pro rider
Especially with the position issue... I might still suspect some chain slap. You get various harmonics that can make the chain slap. It's common on deceleration in some bikes as the chain is no longer pulling in the same direction. Note the tension can be perfect and still see this issue.
I actually found a rattle on my bike that surprised me as it was coming from the clutch lever vibrating at certain speeds!
Sounds like compressing the rear suspension diffently has an effect. The only thing that should be "loose" back there is the chain and the brake pads. ;-) Is everything else at the back of the bike tight?

Top Bottom