Tire choices for Svartpilen

NeverLost

fast rider
1605034323858.jpg
So far I am happy with the stock Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR tires on my Svartpilen 401. Seem fine on the street to me and worked on the mild dirt roads I tried. But I'm not sure what to try next.

What are you guys using when you change tires, and why? And how are they working for you?

BISavage

pro rider
I really like the Scorps, mine lasted around 9000km to the legal limit of tread. I wanted to buy them again but they were sold out of the rear everywhere! So I bought what I thought looked the best out of the purchasable options for my intended use. (and they were readily available cause around here about everyone and their grandma puts them on their rc125s)

Michelin Pilot Street

They are quieter, seem to take the potholes better, and are not entirely hopeless in dirt roads. Wet grass is tackeled with much more slidey-ness than with the Scorps, and on the other hand the Pilots don't tend to dance so much on wet tar or loose sand on the street.

One thing to note is that the Pilots aren't quite so scary, because with the Scorps there was always a sketchy feedback feeling as they cross that stripe in the back tire between the outer and inner tread blocks.
But then again, that was something I liked about the Pirellis ;)

When it comes down to it there are probably about 10 choices in the stock tire size and 10 more of you decide for a different one.

I cant say I like the one or the other better, but I definately recommend sticking to a quality brand of tire and checking the date of manufacture.

Vintage Veloce

top rider
I've heard good things about the Continental TKC 80 Twinduro. Supposedly better off road, but much less road mileage than the Pirelli Rally STR.
Has anyone tried these?
1605078702236.jpg

Mitch

contributing rider
I've heard good things about the Continental TKC 80 Twinduro. Supposedly better off road, but much less road mileage than the Pirelli Rally STR.
Has anyone tried these?
I would be keen to try those out, would likely be better for the tracks I'll be riding. Reminds me of the knobblys I had on my first bike so it could go off-road - Yamaha RXS100

Dark

contributing rider
after 4,000km I am already thinking of changing the rear rubber of my svart 701.
I will not bolvere to mount the factory mt 60 rs, since from 2,500km it was already starting to square and the feeling when leaning in the curve is not good, apart from some substitute in the wet.
Had I thought of: Metzeler roadtec 01
Dunlop mutant or Contiroadattak 3
What is your experience?

BISavage

pro rider
Getting about time for the next set, here is what I done seen so far:
-Michelin Pilot Street Radial
Longer lasting, superb wet handling, do ok for dirt roads, grass and mud are places where they dont.
-Pirelli Scorp
Fun to ride with, good all around, I was able to tear one with pointy rocks though and they are loud/vibrate more.

Other Options:
Anyone tried anything else so far?

Last edited:

Dark

contributing rider
Right now I am with a contiroadatak3 rear wheel.
I execute 15 clicks to position the rear suspension in comfort mode, if I remember correctly I also lowered the rear spring preload 2 positions and executed 3 bar. cold pressure.
Finally say that I have a weight of apox. 64kg without equipment and with this configuration I went from squeezing my ass with the pirelli to almost touching the knee with the continental ones.

BISavage

pro rider
So, I asked around about tubes and rim band, answer i repeatedly got, if it looks like it needs to be replaced, then it needs to be replaced. 🤦‍♂️

BISavage

pro rider
Getting about time for the next set,

Heard that the Street Radials are no longer produced, so removed from the Option List.

Short List in no Particular Order:

Pirelli Scorpion STR
Pirelli Diablo R' 3
Bridgestone S22
Metzeler M9RR
Dunlop GPR 300
ContiAttack SM Evo
Haidenau K66
Michelin Pi'Po' 2CT

BISavage

pro rider
Yes.
(That was my personal short list, there are some others from both big and small names and the previous versions available; for instance R' 2, S21 or M5/M7)

110/70-17 54H
150/60-17 66H

Here from the Pirelli page for the stock Scorpion Tires:

Screenshot_20210522-095138_Samsung Internet.jpg

steve.g.waters

new rider
Heard that the Street Radials are no longer produced, so removed from the Option List.

Short List in no Particular Order:

Pirelli Scorpion STR
Pirelli Diablo R' 3
Bridgestone S22
Metzeler M9RR
Dunlop GPR 300
ContiAttack SM Evo
Haidenau K66
Michelin Pi'Po' 2CT
Michelin Road 5 Classic is an option as well for the Svartpilen 701...

BISavage

pro rider
So Iwas putting some stuff on the shelf and I noticed that the Rimtape is made in FI.

I guessed that means thet Herrmans makes them for HQV/KTM if their made in Finnland.

20210625_214846.jpg

(Then I opened it up and...BOOM!)

20210625_220856.jpg

For those who arent familiar:

Dan00Hawk

fast rider
For my 401 Svart, I just ordered a set of Dunlop Mutant Crossovers in the OEM size 110/70 17 and 150/60 17.

What kind of tubes should I order (standard is less weight vs heavy duty) and what sizes? Or has anyone confirmed if we can seal up the spokes and run without tubes?

BISavage

pro rider
I didn't know Herrmans, are they famous?
Most people replace it with ducttape anyways.

It actually doesnt surprise me that top notch rim tape is used. If you look closely at the components that were used on these bikes, you can see that most of them are actually top notch.

BISavage

pro rider
For my 401 Svart, I just ordered a set of Dunlop Mutant Crossovers in the OEM size 110/70 17 and 150/60 17.

What kind of tubes should I order (standard is less weight vs heavy duty) and what sizes? Or has anyone confirmed if we can seal up the spokes and run without tubes?

When you look at the pic above, thats what I would recommend, original stuff.

Just because the tires are worn doesnt mean the tubes or rim tape are also at the end of their usable lifetime.
So I would recommend having the stuff on hand and then looking if its good or not once the tires are off.

As far as HD / non HD Tubes... do you get flats? If not, than no need to try a heavier duty type unless you plan to try much rougher terrain.

Top Bottom