So, Is The Redline 10,000 or 11,000 RPM?

Vitpilen

contributing rider
I keep encountering conflicting and different information regarding the redline on these motorcycles. Some say 9,000, while others say 10,000 or 11,000 RPM. I just found a video where someone attempted a top speed run, and it appears that their motorcycle revs up to 11,000 RPM.

Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 13.58.05.jpg

I'm still enduring the break in of my motorcycle, and I haven't revved past 6,500 RPM yet. I will be doing the first oil change in the coming days, and then I will want to finally enjoy it truly without any restrictions.

What do you guys believe the redline should be, whereas no damage occurs to the engine?

Dr.Shifty

expert rider
The motor loves to rev and it spins up very easily. However, there is no sense in going over the max HP point at 9,000. It will rev out higher and if somebody is trying to get to max speed and is in top gear then it's inevitable that it's going over that point. The danger of high revs is valve bounce and the possible destruction of the motor.

And ... just in case you've never seen what bent valve stems can do to a motor, check out this guy's KTM 390 motor.
The irony is complete when you read his final comment, "When can I push the bike to its limit?" 😧

https://www.reddit.com/r/KTM/comments/k5s5pm

BISavage

champion rider
Its not that a certain RPM will blow it up, its how you do it.

Let the bike get nice and warm before you go wide open (atleast 20 minutes)

And dont hold it wide open for more than a few minutes at a time.

OP
Vitpilen

Vitpilen

contributing rider
Gentlemen, I appreciate the responses and insights.

Its not that a certain RPM will blow it up, its how you do it.

Let the bike get nice and warm before you go wide open (atleast 20 minutes)

And dont hold it wide open for more than a few minutes at a time.
I'm extremely anal when it comes to my vehicles, and tend to disregard my procedure as common practice. I always allow my vehicles to reach operating temperature before I begin driving spiritedly. Until that occurs, I drive like a grandpa. I also check my oil, coolant, and tire pressures every couple of days. It's just a habit I've developed over the years, and doesn't take long to do.

I will set 9,000 RPM as the red line for my Vitpilen, then. I don't know what full power feels like yet, as I've only ridden gently thus far. However, I will find out tomorrow.

BISavage

champion rider
I prefer to use a digital Oil Temp Guage.

Once the bike feels warm, I make sure the oil is up to operating temperature and once it is I like to administer a heavy application of throttle.

Top Bottom