Quadlock

aitormartin

expert rider
As @Vintage Veloce requested, I'm going to write a short review of the Quadlock phone support. The one I'm using is the Handlebar Mount, I preffered this one over the fork stem mount because of its position. Also, I'm not sure the stem mount fits the 401.

First, lets talk about the Case:

Since I didn'd have any of the supported phones, I had to get a generic case for my phone and stick a Universal Mount. If you get this, make sure the surface you stick it to is compatible with the adhesive. They claim the universal mount won't stick to Rubber, silicon, TPU or soft touch coatings. So I got a flat case with a methacrylate back and so far it's holding up really well (I have been using it for 3 months quite regularly).

IMG_20210523_142511.jpg IMG_20210307_203014.jpg IMG_20210307_202948.jpg

Many people say that this kind of phone support can ruin the image stabilization of the phone (Specially on bikes with vibrations, single cylinders and such). Many claim this is specially true for Iphones. This is why the now sell a vibration dampener, but I didn't get this, so I can't coment on this. I haven't had any problems yet, so fingers crossed.

Now, on the Support itself... I really like it. It feels really solid, despite being plastic, and the process of putting the phone on the support and removing it is really fast. It takes a bit of practice at first, it did for me at least... But then it becomes very easy and convenient. I love how easy and fast filling up at the gas station is. I simply pull up next to the hoose, press the release lever and pay with my phone. I know you just save up a few seconds, but it feels really convenient.

Also, another bonus point is its looks. It looks quite good when you don't have the phone mounted.

It's the first phone support I try, so I can't really compare it to others, but I feel like this one is a really good one, so I think it's well worth the money.

Last edited:
As much as I like the idea of being able to have access to the phone without taking it out of my pocket, I am concerned that with it up front like that in the areas where I typically cruise, my phone would be exposed to elements such as flung rocks, huge bugs, and an occasional bird or mammal... you know typical stuff.

How clean does it stay for you?

Either way; its Definitely cool though.

And bonus points on the reverse polarity dash.

You are right, it's pretty exposed. Where I live we've had pretty cool weather, so there aren't many insecects flying around and my phone stays clean.

Hot weather will start soon here and that will probably change....

As a side note... Today a cow jumped on the road right in front of me as I was riding, so if I were to crash my phone and I would have been wrecked 😂 Good thing I managed to avoid it.

I like that it is relatively "low profile". And the release mechanism does seem like a good one.
Also interesting on the potential vibration /phone image stabilization damage issue. I hadn't heard of that one.
I'd think the phone case would still provide good protection from bugs and the like... unless something manages to hit the camera lens.
Thanks for the review!

Yeah, with the iPhone it can happen for some generations... I know someone who had that happen and showed me before it was replaced.
They didnt ride motorcycles though... maybe just sensitive electronics in that particular model.

How is the quality of the bar mount, you mention its stable and plastic, is it on par with original go pro stuff, or better?

The autofocus tends to break because the image stabilizator is mechanical and it breaks with certain vibrations.

I don't know how to compare it to the go pro stuff to be honest, I don't currently own one. All I can say is the phone feels really secure, even with the universal mount (The one you stick to your phone).

I've got Quadlock mounts on both my bikes, the Svart and a Triumph Tiger 900. Both are mounted with the handlebar mount and on the Tiger I also have the Motorcycle Knuckle Adapter. I previously had the Tiger setup on my Indian.

I've ridden some very rough roads and the mount has shown it's worth. I've ridden behind a mate whose phone bounced off his mount (the RAM mount with the cross shaped arms and rubber cones at the ends) and the phone hit the ground hard and split into pieces.

One time while riding I hit a bump mid corner and the shock while leaning over was enough for the phone to think I'd turned it sideways, so the phone was in landscape mode but the map in portrait. It took a km or two for it to come right again.

My only difficulty is sometimes getting it on the mount - it needs to be held just at that 45 degree angle. And I need to keep my fingers away from the buttons on the side of the phone.

I notice that they now make a black release piece instead of the blue. I don't know why they don't sell them with the black one unless somebody asks for blue.

I've also ridden in the rain on the Indian and Tiger and the windshield gave enough protection while I was riding. They require a phone case and that gives a bit of extra weather protection. I've not had it mounted on the Svart while raining.

This is the moto mount. It comes with spacers for different diameter bars.

1621815981653.jpg

This is the knuckle, which some bikes need if their bars don't have an ideal spot for mounting.

1621816006074.jpg

I have Quadlock on both my bikes, Vit 701, and Honda Africa Twin, last year Quad released a Vibration isolator that goes between the base and top mount, and I got them as I can see the IPhones not liking constant vibrations especially at high frequency.
The plastic is your finer reinforced type, pretty strong, and so far I am really impressed with there products and range.
Very big in the pushbike world, my son uses on his mountain bikes ect...
Also, I have damaged a mounting petal, being impatient and heavy handed at the time, and Quad replaced the damaged piece at no charge from Australia.

I have a Samsung Galaxy A51 ... can't seem to find any rain-cover / poncho for it in order to put it on a quadlock. Any suggestions?

Hi Matt, I would fire Quad Lock an email and ask them. I have found their customer service to be pretty good and they respond within 48 hours usually. Worth a try.

Hi Matt, I would fire Quad Lock an email and ask them. I have found their customer service to be pretty good and they respond within 48 hours usually. Worth a try.
aah sweet ... i'll try that. Thanks !

Thanks for the tip ... already got a respond from them with a bunch of suggestions and solutions. Big *thumbs up* to them !!!

Back
Top Bottom