Measuring Front Suspension Travel

Vintage Veloce

top rider
PXL_20210220_215308730.jpg

The manual says the 2020 should have 142mm of travel.
I've been watching the o-rings on the front and I have never gotten them 142mm down the tube (when compared to the fork with the front wheel in the air).
I wonder if there is a rubber stop inside that uses up some of that travel or maybe I really have just never bottomed the front?
Anyone know anything about how much travel is really available on the front?

Vintage Veloce

top rider
You guys... :devilish:
I guess, my point is that I think I have bottomed the forks, but they are not near 142mm down the tube when measured from topped out. Maybe there is a rubber bump stop in the tube that reduces this in reality to a smaller number, closer to 125mm?

BISavage

top rider
I bottomed out one time, hard.

Turning in on the brakes, combined with an elevation change and an overlooked drainage ditch....:oops:

According to the dust stripe there was alot more travel than i thought, and have ever used since.

hannesd

contributing rider
on a road bike i'm never concerned about bottoming out.
if you have this kind of travel left on a normal days riding then you're good, unless you hear and feel it bottoming it out on a regular base, then you should opt for a different spring rate.

Vintage Veloce

top rider
So on today's ride I did a bunch of stoppies, slammed the brakes on into the ABS, etc. I never felt a "hard bump".
I just lifted the front end up and measured from the fork seal to the o-ring: 125mm.
PXL_20210223_213814878.jpg

That leaves 40mm of exposed fork tube "unused" but of course there is no way the whole tube would be usable.
Using 125mm, by spec I should have 17mm left (142-125=17). Maybe...

Top Bottom