I think I'm in (g)love

BISavage

pro rider
So, today I saw a "twelve year old" riding her 125 naked bike with naked hands and I thought no way... the kids these days... but then when I paid more attention I was surprise at how many people actually didnt have gloves!
Back when I had my first bike I would ride with Ropers before I saved up enough bread to get some real motorcycle gloves... I mean in those days a helmet was still somewhat optional, going without gloves was not.

What about everyone else?

Vintage Veloce

top rider
It's nuts riding without gloves. Even with slowest speed tip-over most are going to reach out with their hands. While your head is more critical, hands are more likely to be damaged.
I started riding with ropers too! Actually they are really pretty protective. Many modern gloves have more padding and protective plates, but often have too many seams, IMO.
1624571874349.jpg

stroem

fast rider
I'm always amazed by how many people I see riding with no gloves, on the street (typically no gear at all on the Harley guys that make up 50%+ of the local riding population) and in YouTube videos. Other than a helmet, gloves were the one piece of motorcycle gear that were required for my motorcycle safety course.

I have these and have been happy so far. They look cool while offering good protection. Looking back, I totally don't remember spending this much money on gloves, especiallyas my jacket was like 2.3x the price.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-mustang-v2-gloves

OP
BISavage

BISavage

pro rider
Despite having always been a fan of astars gloves, I couldnt find any replacements this round that checked all the boxes, so I stepped over to another Italian brand.

Here are the short ones Ive been using daily for few years now and they have held up well to all 4 seasons (20°-100°). I would say they are in a three way tie for first place in my all time favorite gloves list (the other two havent been made in decades...)

20210625_082902.jpg

These are the long ones I wear when I feel the need..., they are comfortable, although I should point out that they did take much longer than even my racing boots to break in:

20210625_085725.jpg

Here is what the internet says about them:

Although I do have others, I would not recommend them over Ropers.

Attachments

• 20210625_082902.jpg
    20210625_082902.jpg
    687.9 KB · Views: 0

stroem

fast rider
Going forward, I think any new gear I buy will be Dainese. They seem to have the best quality of all the major brands. I have riding pants from them, I plan to get a matching jacket eventually.

Dan00Hawk

fast rider
I've got 2 pairs of summer gloves that are comfortable even when it's 90+, 1 pair for cool weather, and 1 battery powered heated pair for colder weather. Next to a helmet, gloves are probably the most essential.

Max Kool

top rider
I was ready for new gloves too. I still have two pairs of Alpinestars SMX Air, and they're really good to ride with. Fit, ventilation and tactile feel are perfect for me. The velcro on these really sucks. Even when new the velcro is only so-so. Too bad for a 50 dollar set of gloves. Bit the bullet the other day and got a set of Klim Induction summer gloves. Ordered two pairs (both L and XL) to make sure I have the perfect fit.

klim_induction_gloves_handschuhe_gants_guantes_handschoenen_grey_1.jpg

klim-induction-handschoen-grijs.jpg

For summer touring these are perfect. Full leather gloves with ventilation that works. Typical Klim. Loads of protection, well thought out and with the zipper on the back easy to pull on or off. And and the fit was perfect for me. Not cheap, but a major upgrade.

OP
BISavage

BISavage

pro rider
I was wondering, how do you all feel about the velcro on the inner wrist side?

I personally prefer it on the outer wrist side of short gloves, maybe a force of habbit, and seem to see the majority of modern gloves setup like those Klim ones with the velcro on the inner wrist side.

Max Kool

top rider
One advantage of the Klim gloves is that you never use the velcro as it has a zipper on the back of the hand. Might as well be stitched down.

The velcro on Alpinestars sucks.

Top Bottom