Hello and Model year identification

S

SlimJim

Hi.
I am new to the forum and I am looking for a 401 in my area.
One dealer has one and sent me these photos.
Do USA models come with non-LED turn signals?

Thanks.

5CC0146C-4BC4-469F-8B12-EFA0CF6A0DC2.jpeg

EA794619-96BA-4178-973B-FD66725A87F6.jpeg

Did it come with gun metal gray?
Thats what the salesperson is describing the color as. Hm.
AF690991-5BD9-4EAB-BF79-4554A95CF372.jpeg

Those ought to be the 2020+ bronze ones which come on the white bike.
The pre 2020 white bike came with the bronze ones with neon applications.

Here is a pic from 2019 in a showroom (look about the same color to me under the flourescent lighting as the ones in your pics, like Vintage Veloce mentioned above)

Screenshot_20210607-163204_Gallery.jpg

I bought it and drove home 81 miles. It was super fun at freeway speeds. 75-95mph. I was grinning all the way.
Forward leaning position is so nice at high speeds.
I love the thumping sensation of the single cylinder motor.
Here are some photos. My other bike is a 2020 Yamaha R3.

Vit 401 is so fun. wow.

IMG_6953-1.jpeg

IMG_6956-2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay! You will have to write up a separate "comparison test" thread!
I went for a short ride today on vit 401 and noticed that it is definitely more powerful.
when I searched for specs on each bike, vit 401 is about 14% more powerful and it has 35% more torque. And it is also lighter than R3. It all makes sense!

And the electronic throttle makes it much smoother at lower speeds than the R3.
The more I learn about the bike, the more surprised I am that they cost the same, $5299...

Vitpilen 401
Rear-Wheel Horsepower41.2 hp @ 8,640 rpm
Rear-Wheel Torque26.9 lb.-ft. @ 6,860 rpm

R3
Rear-Wheel Horsepower36.0 hp @ 10,700 rpm
Rear-Wheel Torque19.8 lb.-ft. @ 9,000 rpm

I absolutely love the cafe racer style.
I added the headlight grille last night.

I have about 350 miles on the odometer.

The brakes continue to impress me. They work great!

The only complaints are that the rev limiter is at 10500 rpm and the mirrors vibrate a lot.

I tried to remove the metal thing inside the handlebar so I could install bar end mirrors but I just cannot get that thing out of the bar.

IMG_6995.jpeg

You need a threaded style bar end mirror for the 2020+ models. The mirrors for 2018-2019 do not fit.

Also, I wouldn't hit the redline to often during break in.

You need a threaded style bar end mirror for the 2020+ models. The mirrors for 2018-2019 do not fit.

Also, I wouldn't hit the redline to often during break in.
Aomc was out of stock on the mirrors (21012940100) so i was looking at ways to use different brand but now they are back in stock so i just ordered a pair. Thanks.

Hmmm, they are saying these fit 2020+ now? The reviewer says he removed the insert to fit them? I thought these were not removable based on other users' posts.

I have about 350 miles on the odometer.

The only complaints are that the rev limiter is at 10500 rpm and the mirrors vibrate a lot.

I tried to remove the metal thing inside the handlebar so I could install bar end mirrors but I just cannot get that thing out of the bar.

The break in period is 600 miles, which the bike keeps track of. Until then the shift light should flash at 7,500. Once the 600 miles is reached you can set the light to wherever you want it. The limiter, however, is set in software but the max HP is 9,000 so there is nothing to be gained by revving past it. A few years ago the Duke 390 didn't have a good reputation for valve longevity. I imagine they've improved since then, but very high rpm might be pushing things a bit.

I think there was a post on here about somebody getting the metal piece out of the bars just by pulling it with a bolt. He said it was epoxied into the bar and it was only a matter of overcoming the epoxy.

The break in period is 600 miles, which the bike keeps track of. Until then the shift light should flash at 7,500. Once the 600 miles is reached you can set the light to wherever you want it. The limiter, however, is set in software but the max HP is 9,000 so there is nothing to be gained by revving past it. A few years ago the Duke 390 didn't have a good reputation for valve longevity. I imagine they've improved since then, but very high rpm might be pushing things a bit.

I think there was a post on here about somebody getting the metal piece out of the bars just by pulling it with a bolt. He said it was epoxied into the bar and it was only a matter of overcoming the epoxy.
I think my 2020 rev limiter kicks in past 10000rpm. Occasionally, i accelerate hard i dont watch it and the power keeps coming and suddenly i am at the rev limit.

Regarding the handlebar, i tried hammering it and i failed. Haha

Back
Top Bottom