After Years Of Lusting, I've Finally Found One!

Vitpilen

contributing rider
I've had my fair share of motorcycles over the years, ever since I acquired my motorcycle endorsement in 2013. My last motorcycle was a 2012 Honda CBR250R, which I sold in early July.

It was time to finally dedicate myself, and seek out one of the pilens. I really wanted the Svartpilen due to the allurement of the scrambler style. However, since both are so rare, I grew impatient. I was fortunate enough that a Vitpilen appeared for sale in my area, which alone is truly rare. So, I ended up purchasing it on the spot due to my impatience. I believe it was more than a fair deal, as it's a 2022 Vitpilen 401, that had only 207 miles.

I'm also a car enthusiast, and while I've had many motorcycles, I've had even more cars over the years.

Dr.Shifty

expert rider
Nice looking bike. They are a ton of fun.
If ever you want to convert to the Svartpilen bars, check this out.

OP
Vitpilen

Vitpilen

contributing rider
So, I purchased my motorcycle on 8/26, and I had to wait until yesterday for the title to arrive. Well, I finally transferred the title into my name, and obtained my temporary plate yesterday. I chose a vanity plate this time, and I'll show you guys once it actually arrives. Right now, I'm using a laminated paper as a temporary plate.

3 long weeks of waiting, testing my patience. I have survived! Today was the first day I actually rode the Vitpilen. I went on a 5+ hour cruise, and rode just about 150 miles. It's perfect! It's everything I needed/wanted it to be! The quick shifter is a game changer, wow!!! This is my first motorcycle with a quick shifter, and I can't believe how easy it makes riding now. I haven't revved past 7k RPM, or went WOT yet. I'm right at ~370 miles, and I anticipate I'll get to 620 within the week, for the first service.

e4jYrY3.jpg

Y3J27Vy.jpg

OP
Vitpilen

Vitpilen

contributing rider
I rode another 100 miles today. I have about 160 more miles to go until I change the oil. Then, I'll be able to truly experience the Vitpilen!

OP
Vitpilen

Vitpilen

contributing rider
I forgot to report earlier that this motorcycle is surprisingly comfortable, for me. I initially wanted the Svartpilen due to the more upright riding position. Since I didn't have the option of purchasing a Svartpilen instead, I won't be able to compare the riding position between the two. I've read from others' experiences that they found the Vitpilen to be uncomfortable. I am quite tall, so perhaps my height is the reason why I find the tiny Vitpilen comfortable. My longest ride has been over 5 hours thus far. It's possible that other riders don't use their thighs/legs for proper support in order to sit in an adequate position.

I'll be heading out to ride again shortly. I imagine I'll either be changing the oil tomorrow, or on Saturday. I have only positive criticism about the Vitpilen, and I love it so much! I have to believe that my love will grow even deeper once I'm able to actually use all of the power, since I've been riding so conservatively.

Dr.Shifty

expert rider
When I went in to order my Svart they didn't have one in the store but they had a Vitpilen. I sat on that but it felt like I was about to fall over the headlight. The Svart is fine, so that few inches extra bar height made the difference for me. I imagine I would have got used to the Vit position before too long on the bike. I've done rides of several hours and wish the seat was a bit more comfortable - but the main problem is the small bike gets punished by rougher roads, smooth roads is no trouble at all.

OP
Vitpilen

Vitpilen

contributing rider
When I went in to order my Svart they didn't have one in the store but they had a Vitpilen. I sat on that but it felt like I was about to fall over the headlight. The Svart is fine, so that few inches extra bar height made the difference for me. I imagine I would have got used to the Vit position before too long on the bike. I've done rides of several hours and wish the seat was a bit more comfortable - but the main problem is the small bike gets punished by rougher roads, smooth roads is no trouble at all.
5.5, 4.5, and 4 equals 14 hours of riding in the past three days. I have no complaints of my riding position on the Vitpilen, nor of the seat. I can't believe how comfortable I am. Now, I can't imagine how the Svartpilen feels in comparison! I've ridden on Cleveland's horrendous roads and I don't feel like the suspension is punishing. I also tuned the suspension to the Sport setting. I suppose every individual has different tolerances.

They do make an Original Upgraded seat, which in my oppinion is absolutely a "must have".
I was looking at that, and also of the Luimoto one. I really like the way the dark brown/suede enhances the cafe racer look, at least in my subjective opinion. I'm not committed yet, however, I am interested in purchasing one.

Yesterday, I rode another ~120 miles. Tomorrow, I only have 35 miles remaining until I reach 620 miles, and then I will change the oil. I can't wait to experience WOT, and how it fairs on the highway. The CBR250R was abysmal after 60 MPH.

VPn4ASH.jpg

hem7cBu.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Vitpilen

Vitpilen

contributing rider
Today, I managed to get to the 620 mile mark, for the oil change. I changed the oil, and the particles didn't seem to be as excessive as what others have posted.

RJHgsgs.jpg

MPlXV1P.jpg

I didn't have enough time to go out and test the motorcycle in it's full capacity. However, I did ride for a bit. I haven't experienced WOT yet, although the heavy acceleration I applied was definitely felt profoundly. This motorcycle is actually decently quick, compared to the grandpa throttle application I've been using. It seemed effortless from the brief highway riding I encountered. I'll be sure to test out everything that I want to tomorrow, including WOT's. So far, terrific improvement over the CBR250R I last had.

I'm going to schedule the first service at the dealer in Pittsburgh, PA in the coming weeks. I want it more so for the safety check and inspection of the long list of necessary checks that are included in the first service. Today's oil change was my priority over anything else. It will also aid me in the event I actually need the warranty due to some failure. This is my first vehicle that is considered "brand new" that I've ever purchased. I have typically only purchased used vehicles up to this point, and done as much work as I could myself.

I fucking love this bike!!!

OP
Vitpilen

Vitpilen

contributing rider
Nice!

If you make it to the dealer, make sure they check the spokes. (Unless of course you already did it)
I have never had rims with spokes until this motorcycle. I don't know how to verify them myself, and I haven't researched how to either. Right now, I -only- want to ride and experience the motorcycle on the road. I've wrenched enough on my cars over the years, where some of the allurement has vanished over time. It's a long list of checks that seem tedious to me right now, and safety is of importance. So, I'm willing to just pay whatever the damn service will cost (to a reasonable extent, of course). I've read from others where they were gouged $400-500, which doesn't seem reasonable.

Top Bottom