701 model year changes

NRS

new rider
Hi all,

I'm in the market for getting a 701 Enduro R and converting it to a dual sport / rally-raid weapon to accompany my TE300i.

At first, I wanted to buy a new one, but (stupid I know) I can't seem to get over the styling and colors of the new bike, the blue frame, etc is not my thing. Saving some cash in getting a nice 2nd hand one is welcome.

Are there any big changes between the 2017 to 2019 models? I found the main thing to be from '17 on being the secondary engine balancer, but anything else to look for? '19 or '20 on has a different (shorter) suspension? I'm not a heavy guy (160lbs) but rather tall so higher bikes are comfier to me (6"1 with long legs and arms). Any considerations about mileage, mods, work done to it? I'm coming from a 2004 KTM 950 ADV S, so I'm used to fixing, modding, upgrading, testing, changing, and fixing things again :). But don't want to go to that deep of repairing old worn things on this bike. Less working on it, more riding is the plan.

Any experiences with the above are welcome.

Last edited:
There have been quite a few changes, during those years you mention. Mostly suspension, and add'l electronics. The best year to get, is the 2019 edition. Best suspension (to work with, anyway,) and it doesn't have all the "nannies" that make the bike "safer." (Read safer, as more dangerous.)

The engines (post 2016) are pretty much the same, except there was some valve train drive issues with the 2017, but Husky got that fixed pronto.

Almost all of these engine's have the pesky clutch slave cyl leaking diaphragm. Oberon is the cure, here. (Some say, the 2022 MY bikes are "fixed.") And some, do not...

Back
Top Bottom