2021 Svartpilen 125: What’s That New Husqvarna Bike Coming February 3?

There's a new countdown.... due in 5 days.

I would dig a 790 or 890 (801 & 901?) Svart. I would also be happy with a discounted 701 due to some new release :)

Well an entire day has passed since the countdown disappeared from the NA site so I don't know what to think now aside from something is in fact coming, just not to North America.

Mystery solved. Rather underwhelming honestly. The real mystery here is why the countdown was up on the NA sites until 5 days before the reveal and then subsequently removed. Was the plan to release the 125 in NA markets, but something happened last minute or was it just some miscommunication with the webdev team? Also no Vitpilen 125 strangely enough.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 10.58.33 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 10.58.33 AM.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 7
Hmmmm....

Weight without fuel of the 125 is 146kg.... the 401 is 152kg. So exact same bike with a smaller engine. I mean, 125cc works for a dirt bike (which usually are very light), but for a bike that is 146kg? I understand the 250 model... but this one, not so much (at least for the US market).

Seeing that Husky is supposed to be the "Lexus" to KTM's "Toyota".... a Vit/Svart 801 or 901 would make more sense.

What? Serious? 😞

My slightly trimmed (Li battery, duo pegs and some small stuff taken off) Vit 701 weighed 155 kg with a near full gas tank...

Out of curiosity I decided to find a dealer listing the 125 and see what the list price was (because Husky doesn't have it listed at least not on the UK site). The first 2 I found didn't have listings at all, but Freestyle in East Sussex had one and it's listed for a whopping 350GBP less than the 401. This lead me to the answer to the question of why this bike exists and why it's in the markets that it's in. The 401 was intended to be a powerful bike that would fit within the UK's A2 license specification (<35kW of power, the 401 has 32kW). This license requires 2 years of motorcycle experience on an A1 bike to obtain and thus the 401 is not the starter bike in the UK that it is in the US. The A1 license requires no prior experience to obtain, but restricts motorcyclists to bikes with up to 11kW and 125cc. The Svartpilen 125 fits perfectly into that category.

So taking price and market factors into consideration it makes perfect sense that this bike would release in European markets (especially ones with similar licensing schemes) and not the US. Licensing in Canada looks like an absolute mess so I'm not even going to try. This all gives me a renewed appreciation for the simplicity of the American system where I can complete a 2 day MSF course and be free to plow a Ninja H2 into the nearest gorge. U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 3
Out of curiosity I decided to find a dealer listing the 125 and see what the list price was (because Husky doesn't have it listed at least not on the UK site). The first 2 I found didn't have listings at all, but Freestyle in East Sussex had one and it's listed for a whopping 350GBP less than the 401. This lead me to the answer to the question of why this bike exists and why it's in the markets that it's in. The 401 was intended to be a powerful bike that would fit within the UK's A2 license specification (<35kW of power, the 401 has 32kW). This license requires 2 years of motorcycle experience on an A1 bike to obtain and thus the 401 is not the starter bike in the UK that it is in the US. The A1 license requires no prior experience to obtain, but restricts motorcyclists to bikes with up to 11kW and 125cc. The Svartpilen 125 fits perfectly into that category.

So taking price and market factors into consideration it makes perfect sense that this bike would release in European markets (especially ones with similar licensing schemes) and not the US. Licensing in Canada looks like an absolute mess so I'm not even going to try. This all gives me a renewed appreciation for the simplicity of the American system where I can complete a 2 day MSF course and be free to plow a Ninja H2 into the nearest gorge. U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Great summary 1<3 Svart!
Yeah, often the smaller displacements are all about local licensing laws. I suspect the 200 version is the same too.
So they have the 401, 250, 200 and 125 for various markets. I'd love to see a breakdown of the actual differences... is it all just the wheels and cylinders?

Back
Top Bottom