Tires and pressures...

Max Kool

pro rider
Ok friends, I live in canyon heaven. The roads here are super winding, and rough. Ruts from trees under the tarmac, patches, crumbled tarmac, cracks. Also, no room for errors. Stuff like this.

IMG_8713.jpeg When I got my Vitpilen 701 year and a half ago, I could never become friends with the stock tires on these roads, the Bridgestone S21. Although they never let go, they just didn't feel good. Like they were too hard. I experimented with tire pressures a bit but we never became friends. They always stayed "grey" and never got that shiny grip pattern. I soon replaced them with Conti Sport Attack 3. A lot better, although they still felt a bit hard, even at 32-34psi, which is already a few psi below recommendation.

Once these we worn down (after 3000 miles, eeek!) I decided I should try sport touring tires instead of the hypersport tires the Sport Attack 3's are. 3k on a front tire is a bit harsh. I don't care at all for dual or triple compound tires, the sides always wear out way before the centers. Conti has just introduced a new ContiRoad tire, which fit in their gamma right below the Road Attack 3. Fitted them a few weeks ago and set them at 32/34 cold pressures and took them out last week Saturday. Although the steering felt perfect (always does with a new front and rear of course), the ride felt a little harsh, not unlike the Bridgestone S21 I had before. Like the tires transferred every little bump into the bars.

Then did a little digging on tire pressures for light motorcycles, and looked at the factory advised pressures for a 701 Super Moto. A bike that has the same tire sizes and roughly the same weight as the Vit 701. The 701 SM has a stock weight of 145kg dry, I weighed my Vit 701 at 155kg/340lbs with a full tank a while ago. Very much comparable. Husqvarna says 29F, 29R for the SM... and that's still OEM advised.... Then why are the stock pressures for the Vitpilen 33F/36R??

So I lowered my pressures to 29psi front and rear and went out again on Sunday. Lo and behold, what a difference! The same roads felt smoother, much better controllable, and looking at the wear pattern the tires came up to temperature better. And looking back it all makes sense, these bikes are significantly lighter than your average 200kg middle of the road 700cc class motorcycle. Even a CBR600 has a kerb weight that's easily 80lbs higher. Which also explains why I never liked the stock Bridgestone S21, I just rode them pumped up too hard.

Anyway, worth a try if all you do is ride canyons. I check my pressures before every ride, and went out yesterday on 29F and 27R. Temps were in the high 60's (20 degrees C), overcast. A little magic happened. Super tacky sides.

IMG_0534.jpeg

So all I'm saying is, don't be afraid to do a little controlled experimentation.

Last edited:
I've been riding with 34 front and 36 rear since I got the bike.
Never had any issues really, but we obviously don't have roads like that over here 😓 and I wish I could wear the sides of the tires out before the center!
But I'll give 29F and 27R a try just to see what it feels like!

Interesting stuff Max, I also have been running the stock recommended pressures of 33-36psi, and always feel the bike is harsh on our bumpy pothole and rippled roads, though there are a lot worse out there, and mostly blame the stock suspension, but maybe some of it is the true pressures as you have found...
Though we have plenty of curves and windy roads, my wear is currently more centre, and I am yet to get a good side scrub, so, having read this, I shall lower my pressures and go try... Thanks for the heads up, all makes sense...

As a side note, I just ordered some Gilles 35mm bar risers from Bellissimoto, in stock, and $35 USD shipping, Gilles in Germany want 195e shipping on a 156e product that will go in a small box or bubble bag.!!!

Ah, I have those risers too! Well worth it for me and my old rusty joints. 👍🏻
It was your recommendation that got me to them, we talked about a while ago :)
Trying to avoid going to the ABM high job, but will see how the Gilles do for my old wrists, need something...

A day in The Ardennes?
90% of the roads in the Ardennes are of terrible quality unfortunately. You're better of going a bit further and enjoy Luxemburg.
But that just a little to much for a single day trip.
I'm considering buying a more touring orientated bike to go alongside the Vit.
Keep the 701 for the local rides. And something a bit more comfortable for longer trips and multi-day trips.

@nampus when I still lived in the Netherlands (Gouda, so also very west), we would go to the Eiffel for a long weekend once or twice a year. Very recommended. Start in Monschau, 258, 257... :geek:

@nampus when I still lived in the Netherlands (Gouda, so also very west), we would go to the Eiffel for a long weekend once or twice a year. Very recommended. Start in Monschau, 258, 257... :geek:
It's on the list, haven't got round to it yet. Covid hasn't helped 🙄
I've got a trip to the Vosges area in France planned for the 1st week of September. And I hope to do some 2 or 3 day trips to the eiffel and Luxemburg before that.
But that's enough off topic 😅

Weather here is still looking like sh*t for the foreseeable unfortunately. So no testing of lower pressures yet 😔

Thanks for the good feedback on the Original Post's tire pressures!
Confirms what I'm also realizing at the track as well as working with different sidewall constructions of the Pirelli SC slicks.

Just went for a short ride (about an hour)
Pressures dropped to 32 frond and rear.
The first 5 minutes the bike felt like it fell into the turns a lot more, but once the tires were up to temp they felt great!
I'll try 30-30 next time, see how that goes....

Right now I am with a contiroadatak3 rear wheel.
I execute 15 clicks to position the rear suspension in comfort mode, if I remember correctly I also lowered the rear spring preload 2 positions and executed 3 bar. cold pressure.
Finally say that I have a weight of apox. 64kg without equipment and with this configuration I went from squeezing my ass with the pirelli to almost touching the knee with the continental ones.

Ok well I have to say this subject got my attention, and I have been playing.

First I did a 80km ride, mixed country roads, with 28-28psi, having dropped from the recommended 33-36psi, and could not believe the difference,
Much reduced harshness all around, and no real drawbacks that I was noticing, so, I then went off on more demanding roads and speeds, now I don't have the windy terrain of Max, but we still got plenty of curves around, and a lot of cut up areas, and I did a 120km run, on very mixed surfaces, and again the same results, my wrists were much less beaten up, and I felt much better on the bike, so my need for suspension work seems reduced, though I am still considering some, but at this point, I shall continue to run lower pressures, and today moved them to 29f-28r, and will see if I feel any difference on that, and continue looking for any negatives here... Maybe even after some more rides, go back to the stock pressures and see how that feels, often changing back is even more noticeable I have found...
Meantime thank you Max for the suggestion in the first place :D
Ps, my weight is 81kg plus riding gear, same as Max from previous discussion...

As mentioned by BISavage, things will vary with different brands/types of tyre, and I was just thinking about that when I saw the post, so, I'm currently on the stock Bridgestone S21's, my OEM set, now with 2,500km on the clock, so still a baby in milage yet...

3 bar cold seems very high 🤔
It may seem like it or it may be, but the only thing I have tried to say in my previous comment is that it depends on the tire casing, the type of road, the weight of the rider, the shape of the tire (more rounded or more triangular).
Find your configuration, with which you feel more secure going fast.
The results will be incredible !!

ok (either way, 3 bar is very high, that's 45psi, way too high for a light bike like this)

I bet your tires last, and last, and last...

ok (either way, 3 bar is very high, that's 45psi, way too high for a light bike like this)

I bet your tires last, and last, and last...
I don't know how long they will last, I'll tell you when I change them ...
But it does not matter as long as they do not lose benefits, when new ones are finished.

Back
Top Bottom