Issues fixed under warranty

After watching several video reviews that praised the bike, I bought a new Svartpilen 801 SE yesterday (greatly discounted) and then I read this disturbing thread. Do *all* 801 Svartpilen owners have warranty problems? You guys just scared the crap out of me....
 
After watching several video reviews that praised the bike, I bought a new Svartpilen 801 SE yesterday (greatly discounted) and then I read this disturbing thread. Do *all* 801 Svartpilen owners have warranty problems? You guys just scared the crap out of me....
I’ve had my bike nearly one year and this is the first issue I’ve had, seems like the oil seal is a common issue but a relatively easy warranty fix. As yours is a newer bike they may have sorted this issue out by now.

Other that that and I’m sure most will agree this bike is superb fun, just a great blend of everything.

Like most I’ve had many a bike in the past from various manufacturers and all bikes can have common minor issues.

Just go and enjoy the bike you won’t be disappointed, it’s a peach of a bike to ride.

Look forward to seeing some pictures soon. 👍👍
 
After watching several video reviews that praised the bike, I bought a new Svartpilen 801 SE yesterday (greatly discounted) and then I read this disturbing thread. Do *all* 801 Svartpilen owners have warranty problems? You guys just scared the crap out of me....
The sheer number of parts prone to issues (all problems that have long been known from the Duke 790 and still haven't been resolved) is unfortunately indeed quite disheartening.
On the bright side, however, the most frequently occurring issues are merely the leaking oil sump gasket, the leaking oil seal behind the front sprocket, and the warped brake discs; all problems that are relatively easy to fix.

I’ve been lucky with my bike so far; apart from a few minor quality issues right upon delivery, I haven’t had any technical problems at all.

As @Leegs already said, the 801 is huge fun to ride; especially on small, winding back roads it's absolutely fantastic.
So don't worry too much; instead have fun and enjoy this awesome toy! ;)(y)
 
Hi All,
Thought we should keep an archive of any issues we have found on our 801s and had fixed under warranty. Could prove useful in future if a common fault arises (such as cam shafts).

I had a minor oil leak which I noticed on my summer road trip through France and Spain. Was not a nice feeling being so far from home!
See the pic below, a slight oil leak from the final drive casing. Interestingly, I noticed the exact same leak on the demonstrator bike when I did a test ride.

Since the repair, the leak has not returned.

Apart from that, no issues in 6 months of ownership.

View attachment 7975
Hi Simmia_blu , did they tell you that was the problem of the oil loss? Because after about 6 months I also have the same loss and I have to call my dealer. Thank you!
 
After watching several video reviews that praised the bike, I bought a new Svartpilen 801 SE yesterday (greatly discounted) and then I read this disturbing thread. Do *all* 801 Svartpilen owners have warranty problems? You guys just scared the crap out of me....
Honestly the issues reported so far are all fairly minor and fixed easily. You have the peace of mind of a 4 year warranty on the bike and a goodwill repair scheme warranty on the camshafts. I wouldn't worry at all, you have just bought a fantastic bike at a bargain price. These bikes were £10,500 a couple of years ago. Enjoy!!
 
Last edited:
Honestly the issues reported so far are all fairly minor and fixed easily. You have the peace of mind of a 4 year warranty on the bike and a 10 year plus warranty on the camshafts. I wouldn't worry at all, you have just bought a fantastic bike at a bargain price. These bikes were £10,500 a couple of years ago. Enjoy!!
Thanks for the generous replies folks. I'm almost 83 and, after a lifetime of motorcycles, the 801SE appealed to all of my riding senses -- sport bike, semi-cruiser and most of all, a "Dragon" curve-ripper since I live and ride there. I paid $10.1K USD OTD at a NC shop and I'm stoked. Diablo Rosso 4's are going on tomorrow and I'm off and running. I am very interested in the member comments about tight OEM chains possibly causing the output shaft seal leaks and "city riding" possibly causing brake warpage. Both made sense to me.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7176.JPG
    IMG_7176.JPG
    736.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Like
Reactions: Tom
I wanted to revise the text a bit, and then accidentally didn't repost it; so here it is again...

I recently read something about the topic of "warped brake discs" that I find quite interesting.
Incidentally, this issue doesn't just affect the original KTM-/-Galfer discs; while it does occur disproportionately often with them (maybe because of particularly cheap quality), the problem crops up occasionally with the stock discs from other bike manufacturers as well.

What I read was that bikes that are frequently ridden in city traffic are particularly affected; and the connection might lie in the fact that they often stop at traffic lights with hot discs while keeping the brake applied. This means the pads remain clamped tightly against the hot discs, potentially causing them to warp because they cannot cool evenly and the tension cannot distribute uniformly due to the clamping force of the pads.

I’ve no idea, if that’s the actual cause (and brake discs should certainly be designed so that this isn't an issue), but from a technical standpoint, it certainly sounds plausible.
As for my 801; I hardly ever ride in the city, and I had absolutely no issues with the stock discs; but maybe that’s just a coincidence...
 
Last edited:
Hola a todos,
Pensamos que deberíamos mantener un archivo de cualquier problema que hayamos encontrado en nuestro 801 y que hayamos reparado en garantía. Podría resultar útil en el futuro si surge una falla común (como en el caso de los árboles de levas).

Tuve una pequeña fuga de aceite que noté durante mi viaje por carretera de verano por Francia y España. ¡No fue una sensación agradable estar tan lejos de casa!
Como se puede ver en la foto de abajo, hay una pequeña fuga de aceite en la carcasa de la transmisión final. Curiosamente, noté la misma fuga en la moto de demostración durante una prueba.

Desde la reparación, la fuga no ha vuelto a aparecer.

Aparte de eso, no he tenido ningún problema en los 6 meses que llevo comprándolo.

View attachment 7975
My first 3000 km, tiene una fuga de aceite. El concesionario lo reparó en garantía. Se debe a un defecto de fábrica.
 
Back
Top Bottom